cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Oracle instance clustered with VCS using NBU

Nikolay_Uloga
Level 3

Dear colleagues hope you'll give me some advice on following issue, i've got cluster with two nodes, having active/passive Oracle DB instance, accessible over VIP,

I've got two NBU clients installed on both machines (and in configuration of the clients i have respective hostnames of those two vcs servers), and the issue is following:

When running backup manually for the DB running on one particular node NBU gives an error that the client is not configured, and when I replace hostname in the client configuration for VIP - everything works smoothly, but this is obviously is not a solution as i cannot have that VIP in NBU client configuration, because filesystem has to be archived as well and VIP cannot be up on both machines at the same time, and in production there's no chance to know which machine hosts Oracle DB at the moment.

I could setup real hostnames in RMAN backup scripts, let's say server1 and server2 and create two backup scenarios, but this would mean that 50% of jobs would always fail ... and this is looks weird.

Could you kindly give an advice on what be more or less convenient solution?

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

What I have done in past is to have a seperate bp.conf in the oracle users home directory with the virtual name as the client name and given the physical hosts acces to the backups through altnames for validation and restores.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just specify NB_ORA_CLIENT as the virtual hostname in RMAN script :
SEND 'NB_ORA_CLIENT=<Virtual-name>';

or in paramaters when running rman manually from cmd.

Nikolay_Uloga
Level 3

Hello Marianne, this was the configuration which didn't worked as in NBU client configuration i had real hostname and backup didn't start.

when i put vip  in there - it worked... but i need to backup filesystem of that machine(s) as well and in another backup scenario i have a real hostname as a client name... sorry if i'm not clear, i don't get - under <Virtual-name> do you mean hostname associated to VIP or something else?

Marianne

This is how all of our customers with clustered Oracle installations are doing it.
CLIENT_NAME in bp.conf needs to be local node name, 
NB_ORA_CLIENT must be virtual hostname.

Yes, Virtual-name means hostname associated to VIP.

If it did not work for you, please allow us to assist with troubleshooting.

We will need to see all of the following (collected after failure (or backup 'not starting') as per my recommendations above):

On client:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
RMAN script (or commands if run manually)
RMAN output file
dbclient log 

On master:
Policy config (bppllist <plicy-name> -U)
bprd log.

Log folders need to exists under netbackup/logs on master and client.
dbclient log folder on the client must have 777 permissions.
To enable bprd logging, NBU must be restarted on the master after folder is created.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You have to do the following http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO69052

When NetBackup talks to the client, and Oracle it is possibe to use a different bp.conf located in the Oracle User's home folder. This will allow you to have the VIP (virtual name) specified in that bp.conf while having th physical nodes specified in the regular bp.conf.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

What I have done in past is to have a seperate bp.conf in the oracle users home directory with the virtual name as the client name and given the physical hosts acces to the backups through altnames for validation and restores.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne