Did you mean: 

Backup of Windows 2012 NTFS deduped volumes

Stefano_Lomba2
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm wondering why in the NetBackup 7.x SCL is stated the following:

"Regarding the Microsoft Windows 2012 NTFS data deduplication feature:
- NTFS deduplication volumes may be backed up to BasicDisk storage units only."

Did anyone tried to use a deduped (MSDP) stu ?

I'm using a 5220 appliance and also with accelerator option enabled , backups are working correctly in optimized mode.

Any idea or experience to share ?

Is the scl wrong or are there known issues using a MSDP STU ?

Thanks,

Stefano

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I wonder why you need to dedup twice using MSDP and NTFS dedup. In general, deduped data can not be deduped even if mechanusm of second dedup step if different from first one. It is rather harmful in performance aspect.

Stefano_Lomba2
Level 3

I need to use dedup stu simply because I don't have so much space to create an Advanced Disk (as I believe It occurs in many cases on production's appliances) . I can afford performance degradation although I think they are not so bad.

Regards

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

AdvancedDisk is not same with MSDP. I understand you are to configure MSDP on NTFS dedup volume - and as I wrote before, it is meaningless for space saving. For space saving, just configure MSDP on plain NTFS volume ,or BasicDisks on NTFS dedup volumes. If you need to use multiple NTFS dedup volumes, consider to use storage unit group.

If i remember right, use of any deduplication technology on BasisDisk requires Data Protection Optimization licese as same as MSDP. license requirement is same, so MSDP is primary option I think.

Stefano_Lomba2
Level 3
You have not understood right . I have to backup a Win 2012 NTFS Deduped Volumes to a sym appl 52xx and I would like to use a Deduped Stu instead of an Advanced Disk as stated into Scl as the only supported destination (BasicDisk)

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

While it may currently work for you; Until otherwise noted in our guides, We will only support issues of backing up and restoring these filesystems when the backup destination is BasicDisk.

Have you tested your restores?