cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of large virtual machines

JCotelo
Level 3

Hello,

If possible I need your feedback about this, I am using Netbackup 7.5.0.6.

I have a VM of 2 TB. The full size of the VM backup is almost the same size, but the cumulative incremental backups are 1.3 TB size (more or less) and I have problems to duplicate it to tape (because of time).

I don't have much experience with Netbackup, so my doubts are:

1. The incremental backup size sounds fine? I mean if another person on the community have similar scenarios an the backup is smaller?.
  2. Enabling CBT on the VM properties, is a good option?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can confirm whether 1.3TB of incremental is normal or not, unless you identify that 1.3TB of new writes/changes/updates/dumps/exports/backups (anything that writes or causes changes to files) are 'not' occuring within the OS file systems of the guest VM server. Are you able to confirm?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

CBT will most definitely help if combined with BLIB. 

Read up about Reduce the size of backups in  NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

With NBU 7.6 you can enable Accelerator for VM policies if you are backing up to dedupe storage. 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can confirm whether 1.3TB of incremental is normal or not, unless you identify that 1.3TB of new writes/changes/updates/dumps/exports/backups (anything that writes or causes changes to files) are 'not' occuring within the OS file systems of the guest VM server. Are you able to confirm?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

About the 2TB VM.... have a look at this TN :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH228584