Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup re-run if system was turned off

etang
Level 3

Hi,

I need some clarification of the following situation:

If the Virtual Machine where NetBackup Master and Media server located (on same server) is power off on the day  that the Monthly Full backup is scheduled to run, will NetBackup is smart enough to run the Monthly Full backup after the VM is being turned off 1 or 2 days later?

If Not, would turning on "Allow retries after runday" helps" ?

Note, I know ideally to leave system on 24/7 but it is not the case we can control over our clients.

Hope I can get some advice.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Ok I'll not ask why the server is turned off.

It depends on the schedules you've configured. If its calender based schedule that says, run on the last thursday, or the last day of the month, then that backup would not run again until the prescribed time comes around again the following month.

If you were you using frequency based scheduling (and the window is open) then the backup would try to run after the master is online again. Example, your schedule says frequency is 1 month and the schedule is open from saturday 8 AM till Sunday 8pm. If the master comes online at midday on sunday it will see that a backup was supposed to run (for client X) since it has been 1 month since the last one (assuming it has been more than one month), it will then also see the schedule is open, so it will run.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Ok I'll not ask why the server is turned off.

It depends on the schedules you've configured. If its calender based schedule that says, run on the last thursday, or the last day of the month, then that backup would not run again until the prescribed time comes around again the following month.

If you were you using frequency based scheduling (and the window is open) then the backup would try to run after the master is online again. Example, your schedule says frequency is 1 month and the schedule is open from saturday 8 AM till Sunday 8pm. If the master comes online at midday on sunday it will see that a backup was supposed to run (for client X) since it has been 1 month since the last one (assuming it has been more than one month), it will then also see the schedule is open, so it will run.

Hope that helps.

Marianne
Retry after runday MAY help. It all depends on whether there is an open backup window. NetBackup is as smart as the smart people managing it. Not very smart to turn off the backup server. Your customer is clearly not taking their data protection very serious....

jim_dalton
Level 6

Reading between the lines etang, do I suspect you think this will be a regular occurrance? If it wasnt then you could rerun the policies manually for the most part, unless there are many of them. So you want to make sure when it does happen again, the backups will complete.

All the above advice is good: retry after runday, open window in the schedule. but it does mean you'll have to modify all your policies.

I would be tempted to try and educate your customer as to the impact of their actions.

Jim

etang
Level 3

Dear all,

Thank you very much for the advice.

Will tackle along and try your suggestions.

Much appreciated for the help.