cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup selection, disks parent server?

Dado
Level 3

Hi all,

second day on NetBackup, another strange thing in the GUI.

I created a policy to backup 4 file servers, I specified one disk each.

After the creation, looking to the backup selection list, I don't see each disk to which server belongs..

On top I cannot edit the backup list, because when I try to change one row, it ask me to specify a selection but without telling me which entry (from which server) I'm changing.

Hope I wrote clearly :)

Take a look to the screenshot maybe it can clarify.

Am I missing something? is there a way to show additional columns to see the parent server? is there another way to edit the selection list where all the informations are visible?

Please don't tell me to use some shell command :p

thanks

regards

Dado

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per Nagalla's excellent post - please read through Policy section of NBU Admin Guide I:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5159

A possible workaround:
Without 'allow multiple data streams' selected in Policy attribute, you can specify all possible drive letters in Backup Selection.
If  'allow multiple data streams' is selected, drive letters not present on a client will result in status 71.

Best solution is to have ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES (with  'allow multiple data streams' selected in Policy attribute) in Backup Selection. 
Add drive letters that you do not want to backup with MS-Windows policy (such as SQL data), create Exclude List for each client (Host Properties -> Clients), e.g.:
F:\*

Some of our customers prefer to create a policy for each client.

Best to read through Admin Guide I and decide for yourself....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi Dado,

the Client list and backup selection works in Different way in netbackup if you have working exprience on some other backup tool.

in Netbackup 

if you specify the backup selection  as K  it should be applicable to all the clients that are listed in Clients tab and netbackup tries to backup of it.

if the K drive is not listed on all the drives in the client tab of that policy, backups will fail for the clients which does not have the K Drive.

so if you wnat to specifically select the Drives from the different Diffrent client , the best way to create a seperate policy for each client.

if you wnat to backup all drives in the clients you can keep backup selection as "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" then add mulitple clients  to the clients tab

hope i make it clear.

netbackup admin guide Volume 1 explines it 

Dado
Level 3

Thanks for the answer, 
It doesn't seem to me really smart this approach in NetBackup, I'll search for a workaround, then if not possible I'll go the way you illustrated me... really sad

thanks
regards
Dado

Marianne

As per Nagalla's excellent post - please read through Policy section of NBU Admin Guide I:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5159

A possible workaround:
Without 'allow multiple data streams' selected in Policy attribute, you can specify all possible drive letters in Backup Selection.
If  'allow multiple data streams' is selected, drive letters not present on a client will result in status 71.

Best solution is to have ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES (with  'allow multiple data streams' selected in Policy attribute) in Backup Selection. 
Add drive letters that you do not want to backup with MS-Windows policy (such as SQL data), create Exclude List for each client (Host Properties -> Clients), e.g.:
F:\*

Some of our customers prefer to create a policy for each client.

Best to read through Admin Guide I and decide for yourself....

Dado
Level 3

Thanks Marianne, is what I did yesterday, I created exclusion list on the servers where I don't want a disk to be backed up.

It doesn't make sense to me to create 30 policies just because I dont' want to backup some disk, I downgraded from Backup Exec2012 to BE2010 just because I hated the "server centric" idea in BE2012 to now discover I must create 30 policies also in NetBackup? no thanks ;)

regards

Dado

Marianne

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is my personal preference.

You can group all similar OS clients in one policy.

Dado
Level 3

At the end I created 2 different policies, and in one of these I used the suggested ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and configured the exclusion list, in the other I simply specified the disks to backup.

Thanks for the suggestion

regards

Dado