cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup server\cannot connect on socket\unable to restore files with a NDMP policy type

rhyden26
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Symantec Support,

Please help to advise regarding the “(25) cannot connect on socket” issue on the NetApps backup policy.

Due to this error, we are unable to restore files with a NDMP policy type. (phgclbps01ms0f3b and phgclbps01ms0f4b)

We are in urgent need to restore files from NetApps, but we are failed to restore the files due to this problem.

We have also tried your recommendation and  did various isolation to resolve the issue but still the error persists.

Appreciate your utmost support on this.

Thank you in advance.

Please contact me on this number (632) 792-5804.

Regards,

Rochelle Gonzales

System Administrator

ICT Infrastructure & Operations Group

STMicroelectronics, Inc. - PTM Calamba

cal.sysad3-ext@st.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Thank you for clarifying that .snapshot areas are read-only, in this case, please advise how are we able to do write process.

In this situation either:

• get your NetApp admins to create a suitable area or areas for restores (as per watsons post) with the required access for NetBackup & the clients concerned if necessary & copy from that location as appropriate once restored;

or

• to restore to the "same" location & overwrite the existing (if present), change the path to remove the .snapshot/nightly.0
    e.g. you would be restoring /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView to /vol/vol4/InTBaNView which is the read/write location for the same qtree.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you restoring to an equivalent device (NetApps filer) that has been fully configured within NetBackup?

Or are you restoring to the original devcie and location?

Make sure that the destination client is correct in the BAR GUI and that it is a fully configured NDMP device

rhyden26
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi Symantec Support, Thank you for your update. Q1: Are you restoring to an equivalent device (NetApps filer) that has been fully configured within NetBackup? A: original location Q2: Or are you restoring to the original device and location? A: YES Please help to advise how are we able to check the configuration of NDMP device on the BAR GUI. FYI. We're using Veritas Netbackup Version 6.0MP7 Regards, Rochelle

watsons
Level 6

6.0MP7 is not supported anymore, if you talk to the Netbackup support team.

Anyway, what happen when you do this?

# tpautoconf -verify <ndmphost>

it should return with your NDMP host information successfully, otherwise the master server cannot communicate with your host and backup/restore would fail.

rhyden26
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hello, Please see below output when we run tpautoconf. But when we check the two (2) NetApp clients in the Host Properties, we encountered same error “(25) cannot connect on socket”. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>tpautoconf -verify phgclbps01ms0f4b Connecting to host "phgclbps01ms0f4b" as user "root"... Waiting for connect notification message... Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 4... Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 4 host supports MD5 authentication Getting MD5 challenge from host... Logging in using MD5 method... Host info is: host name "phgclbps01ms0f4" os type "NetApp" os version "NetApp Release 7.2.4" host id "0084271051" Login was successful Host supports LOCAL backup/restore Host supports 3-way backup/restore Regards, Rochelle

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You cannot connect to an NDMP device under the hosts properties section of the admin console

It uses the NDMP protocol to communicate with them and cannot connect as it does not have a NetBackup Client installed on it to connect to so that would never work.

You test seems to show that it is communication OK.

If you are having restore issues then we would need to see the full restore logs from the PC / Server that you ran the restore from plus any logs (messages) that could be gathered from the filer itself.

rhyden26
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

Thank you for your update.

>You cannot connect to an NDMP device under the hosts properties section of the admin console

Does it mean, it is normal to get an error cannot connect on socket on the clients under NDMP policy?

Because in some clients, they are able to connect.

Please see the attached logs when we're trying to restore the files.

Appreciate your further analysis on this.

Thanks a lot for the support.

Regards,

Rochelle

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If it doesnt have a netbackup client installed there is nothing for NetBackup to attach to so you should not get a response from an NDMP filer - would be interested to see what properties you do get from such a device if it does connect - a screenshot would be good

I will take a look at the logs and get back to you

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok ... first line of note in the log is this one:

Restoring NDMP files from /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView/ to /C

Then this one:

INF - Restoring NDMP files from /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView/ to /C/Test Backup/New Folder

Then this one:

INF - Restoring NDMP files from /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView/ to /\\cal01629/Users

and this

INF - Restoring NDMP files from /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView/ to /Z/InTBaNView/BACKup

Oddly there is an indication that something did get restored but not clear exactly what.

All of the above cannot be done - the restore has to go back to the NDMP filer and cannot be re-directed, certainly not to a Windows Server.

It also helps if you do re-direct the restore (so it goes to a different location on the folder) if you create the folder for the restore ahead of running it.

Please explain what all of the above restores relate to and exactly what you have been doing

Thanks

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I'm confused - I see the same as Mark: from the logs there appear to be a lot of successful restores which appear to be going to windows drives (/C & /Z) or a UNC path??

The failures I see appear to be 150 (termination by administrator) with associated 10054 (altho' there are no further details for these specific jobs) - are these the problem jobs? - with the odd media 'error' thrown in.

The only other possible failures of note are, for example:

688054    Retrieve    INF - Restoring NDMP files from /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView    
688054    Retrieve    DAR enabled    
688054    Retrieve    NDMP restore failed from path /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView    
688054    Retrieve    client restore EXIT STATUS 5: the restore failed to recover the requested files

Now, in these instances there is no reference to what path the files are to be restored to - to me this means to the same path as the original. If so, this is not possible as .snapshot areas are read-only.

Just my thoughts ..... I see no other errors & the 25 under host properties is expected as Mark has already explained.

May be an idea to make a note of *all* the options you choose & then *just* the log entries that are associated with them?

[[editted]]

watsons
Level 6

Andy is right, .snapshot path is read-only and cannot be simply overwritten.

.snapshot path is a Netapp snapshot features that you can enable to "backup" data every night, every week or month. It does not actually backup the data, but using the (FULL) baseline, when a snapshot is taken, it generates the differences with the baseline and create reference points. Usually a 10~30% of diskspace is allocated for this snapshot if you turn it on. It does not allow write process because they're backup. It will expire by itself as configured by OnTAP (Netapp).

Consider restoring to an alternate path and see how it goes.

rhyden26
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Dear All,

Thanks for the update.

Yes, at first, we tried to restore the file on its original location and we got this error.

688054 Retrieve INF - Restoring NDMP files from /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView
688054 Retrieve DAR enabled
688054 Retrieve NDMP restore failed from path /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView
688054 Retrieve client restore EXIT STATUS 5: the restore failed to recover the requested files

So, we tried to restore to different location then we got a successful status. But when we check the dump location, the file was not restored. The expected file didn't exist.

Please check the attached screenshots.

Andy Welburn: >Now, in these instances there is no reference to what path the files are to be restored to - to me this means to the same path as the original. If so, this is not possible as .snapshot areas are read-only.

Thank you for clarifying that .snapshot areas are read-only, in this case, please advise how are we able to do write process.

Thank you.

Regards,

Rochelle

watsons
Level 6

I am not sure if you can restore to a Windows path (C:\temp). From my experience, when your policy type is NDMP, you have to restore back to a NDMP host. What you need to do, ask your Netapp admin to create a qtree (dir) under a certain volume let say /vol/vol4/restore, and you choose alternate restore to this path.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

In this situation either:

• get your NetApp admins to create a suitable area or areas for restores (as per watsons post) with the required access for NetBackup & the clients concerned if necessary & copy from that location as appropriate once restored;

or

• to restore to the "same" location & overwrite the existing (if present), change the path to remove the .snapshot/nightly.0
    e.g. you would be restoring /vol/vol4/.snapshot/nightly.0/InTBaNView to /vol/vol4/InTBaNView which is the read/write location for the same qtree.

Alucard_18
Level 2
Hi Watson and Andy, Thank you for your support you information really help me a lot. our problem for restoration NDMP are now solve. hi guy if you have a problem for restoration at NDMP file you can check my basic procedure how to restore NDMP at Veritas Netbackup 6.0MP7 Regards, Juvylan L. Mateo

Alucard_18
Level 2

Hi Watson and Andy,

Thank you for your support your information really help me a lot.
our problem for restoration NDMP are now solve.

hi guy if you have a problem for restoration at NDMP file you can check my basic procedure how to restore NDMP at Veritas Netbackup 6.0MP7

Regards,
Juvylan L. Mateo

rhyden26
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your utmost support.

We tried your suggestion and it works.

Regards,

Rochelle

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Good to know!

Can you mark which ever post helped as solution? This will help any others with the same issue find their solution that much quicker & give us a nice glowing feeling to boot!

rochelle10
Not applicable

Dear All,

Thank you for your valuable support.

Anyway, we would like to share the solution that worked for us to resolve the problem.

Solution:

to restore to the "same" location & overwrite the existing (if present), change the path to remove the .snapshot/nightly.0

Regards,

Rochelle