cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup start writing with delay.

Taskin
Level 2
Hello everyone,

I have a two server and these are Netbackup 6.5.4 SAN media server. Job overview:

Shadow Copy Components:\
C:\
D:\

Schedule type:
Differential Incremental Backup

When I run the job it start writing about 30 minutes later. I could figure out it does not start writing immediately.  Log files does not show me enough information. I marked bold, begin writing and waiting almost 30 minutes and start writing first file.   

/19/2010 8:37:50 AM - connecting
2/19/2010 8:37:50 AM - connected; connect time: 00:00:00
2/19/2010 8:37:56 AM - mounting AB0015
2/19/2010 8:38:56 AM - mounted; mount time: 00:01:00
2/19/2010 8:39:00 AM - positioning AB0015 to file 22
2/19/2010 8:39:58 AM - positioned AB0015; position time: 00:00:58

2/19/2010 8:39:58 AM - begin writing

2/19/2010 9:08:23 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=7616) from client DABSQL301: WRN - can't open file: C:\Documents and Settings\user01\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )
the requested operation was partially successful(1)

2/19/2010 9:39:57 AM - end writing; write time: 00:59:59
the requested operation was partially successful(1)

The job was successfully completed, but some files may have been
busy or unaccessible. See the problems report or the client's logs for more details.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Have U looked for th bpkar and other logs about that job?

Is there any mapped drive?

why don't u use the all_local_drives?

the BMR environment is set?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
From the snippet you've provided, I don't think it's correct to conclude that it didn't start writing for 30 minutes.

Your log entry at 09:08:23 is just a notification of a skipped file - it's not anything saying that THAT'S when you've started writing.  Presumably you've been writing for quite a while, since the skipped file was loacted in C:\ - your second backup selection in the list - as opposed to being in Shadow Copy Components:\.

It looks more like a delay of about two minutes:

2/19/2010 8:37:50 AM - connecting
2/19/2010 8:39:58 AM - begin writing

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Agree,

Maybe the job is writting and just mention that a file could not be backed up.

something about the amount of data that U R backing up? 

Start a job and clic the Detailed sstatus, that will show U what is happening.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Run the report just for that server.

Here you shoudl see
started backup for ....
begin writing for....

that is when it first started writing.
you post is just showing the first file it had an issue with.

James_Perry
Level 4
Not sure this is the issue you are having but since you are doing a Differential Incremental Backup then it may be that you are facing some processing and/or preprocessing delays as NetBackup scans all of the files looking for the archive bit on the files. 

As CRZ noted it may be that you are writing files and only got the error when it could not access the log file. 

One way you check the behavior between Incremental and Full would be to compare the output from the full backup to see if it shows the same timing patterns.  If not then it may be related to the processing of finding all of the files needed to be backed up first before actually sending those to the tape.  I have not delved down deep into this processing since 4.x but it sounds similar to what I saw back then.