cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup status reports older than 30 days

robertngara
Level 3

I am trying to pull report earler than 8 June 2010 but they dont seem to be available. Is there any way that i can set the time so that i can access these reports older than on month.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Keep Logs setting: <br /> <br /> Keep logs

The Keep logs property specifies the length of time, in days, that the master server keeps its error catalog, job catalog, and debug log information. NetBackup derives the Backup Status, Problems, All Log Entries, and Media Log reports from the error catalog. Keep logs limits the time period that these reports can cover. When this time expires, NetBackup also deletes these logs (that exist) on UNIX media servers and UNIX clients.

Specify how many days you'd like to keep the logs in case you need the logs to evaluate failures. For example, if you check the backups every day you can delete the logs sooner than if you check the backups once a month. However, the logs can consume a large amount of disk space, so do not keep the logs any longer than necessary. Default: 28 days.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Keep Logs setting: <br /> <br /> Keep logs

The Keep logs property specifies the length of time, in days, that the master server keeps its error catalog, job catalog, and debug log information. NetBackup derives the Backup Status, Problems, All Log Entries, and Media Log reports from the error catalog. Keep logs limits the time period that these reports can cover. When this time expires, NetBackup also deletes these logs (that exist) on UNIX media servers and UNIX clients.

Specify how many days you'd like to keep the logs in case you need the logs to evaluate failures. For example, if you check the backups every day you can delete the logs sooner than if you check the backups once a month. However, the logs can consume a large amount of disk space, so do not keep the logs any longer than necessary. Default: 28 days.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Host Properties -> Master Server -> Global Attributes -> Days to keep logs

It will only take effect after you have changed the value and start keeping logs for longer. Older logs that have already been deleted cannot be brought back by changing this value.

The logs are files kept under netbackup/db/error.

Kisad
Level 5
To add  to Andy & Marianne's suggestion, i guess you can also configure from bp.conf

KEEP_JOBS_HOURS
KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS

How to find out if bpjobd is using the correct values for KEEP_JOBS_HOURS and KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267020.htm

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
OOPS - Andy is correct - Keep Logs was in Global Attributes till 5.1... blush
Now in Clean-up.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Must've been in the back of my mind tho' as that was where I looked first!

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

Trying to keep >30 days of logs could venture on the insane if you have a large environment since these logs can get huge.  If you ever need to increase your logging levels to troubleshoot an issue, your disk vendor will thank you.

I believe you really want a NetBackup reporting product - NOM with the Analytics license or a 3rd party product like Aptare StorageConsole (my favorite).