cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup tapes not expired automaticaly

Parks1
Level 3

Hi,

We have Veritas netbackup 7.0.1 and after upgradation version 7.0.0 to 7.0.1 we have a problem that Backup tapes not expired automaticaly after retention period expire.

I have installed NB_7.0.1_ET2106924_5.zip this hotfix as well on master server but not get solution. i have to do expire my tapes manuly with the help of bin/admincmd>bpexpdate -m <mediaid> -d 0 command.

Regards - PARAG U.

11 REPLIES 11

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

relates to.

What results do you get from:

bpimage -cleanup -allclients

followed by (when the clean-up has finished in the GUI)

bpexpdate -deassignempty

Parks1
Level 3

Hi,

I have tried given commands but not succeeded.:-(

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

For one of these tapes, what does this show:

bpmedialist -m <media id>

Thanks,

Martin

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Just for curiosity how are you catalog backups doing? are they failing? could be you have some sort of corruption at DB or Images level and this will be flagged if a catalog backups is failing.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

I have no idea if you have gone through this artical, but surely it could be helpful for you

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125287

Parks1
Level 3

till the issue is running. any idea on same?

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Still your issue is running...may be its time for you to go for support call..

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Parks1 - it took you FIVE MONTHS to respond... surprise ???

Have you checked any of the posts above?

Please consider upgrading to 7.5.0.4.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
There is a bug at certain versions where bptm -delete_all_expired doesn't work. For the majority of people, they never notice this as they have many tapes and a few that doesn't expire exactly on time are not seen, because, bpexpdate cleanup does work, and this runs by default every 12 hours. So these are your only options (in this order) You need two tapes that are not expired, or if you have only one, do step 1, they when you have another do step 2. Before you start, make sure the tape is expired. bpmedialist -m If the tape shows EXPIRED continue .... If it shows FROZEN EXPIRED than the fact the tape is frozen will be stopping it from expiring (frozen tapes do not expire). 1) Run bpexpdate -d0 -m Check with bpmedialist -m that the tape is no longer listed The idea of this is to check that there is no error in the database with the tapes, sometimes a bad emm entry causes the tape not to expire. If the tape is still listed after this, and is not frozen, then contact support. With the next tape, check it is EXPIRED with bpmedialist -m but this time run .... 2) bptm -delete_all_expired Now, check with bpmedialist -m if the tape is listed, if it is not, the tape has expired correctly. If the tape is still listed, then it seems to be that bptm -delete_all_expired is not working. If you have not applied the EEB to fix this, contact support to obtain it (or google for it). If you have applied the EEB that should have fixed the issue, but didn't, contact support for further assistance. Martin

Parks1
Level 3

There some mis-communiction in our team so tht why i forgot about that case

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Definitely upgrade!