cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup vCenter Server Appliance using Netbackup 8

KSachaB
Level 3
Partner

I am attempting to add the vcenter to NetBackup master server and run backup. 

When I attempt to browse the virtual machines from the policy I get the error “cannot connect on socket 25”.

From the job details I also get the following errors:

Dec 20, 2017 9:42:11 PM - Info bpbrm (pid=11816) connect failed STATUS (18) CONNECT_FAILED

Dec 20, 2017 9:42:11 PM - Info bpbrm (pid=11816)         status: FAILED, (44) CONNECT_TIMEOUT; system: (10060) Connection timed out.; FROM 0.0.0.0 TO trdsrvvcenter.entire.potashcorp.ad 10.1.0.79 bpcd VIA pbx

Dec 20, 2017 9:42:11 PM - Info bpbrm (pid=11816)         status: FAILED, (44) CONNECT_TIMEOUT; system: (10060) Connection timed out.; FROM 0.0.0.0 TO trdsrvvcenter.entire.potashcorp.ad 10.1.0.79 bpcd VIA vnetd

The master server (pcs-backup-1) needs to connect to the client (trdsrvvcenter) via the required ports:

1556 (pbx)

13724 (vnetd)

13782 (bpcd)

Telnet tests were done to determine when these ports were opened. See attached for results.

I have one concern. Is a NetBackup VMware backup host required to backup the VMware environment seeing that this is an appliance? 

2 REPLIES 2

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @KSachaB,

From what I saw in the screenshot, you are using wrong TCP ports...VMware backup use different TCP ports, take a look...depending on your backup strategy there are other requirements.

Do you want make vmware backup via LAN or SAN??

To backup and restore VMWare:

Backup host to vCenter requires TCP port 443.

If using query builder (VIP), master server to vCenter requires TCP port 443.

If using the nbd transport type, backup host to ESX host requires TCP port 902.

Refer: NetBackup 6.x and 7.x firewall port requirements

You need to have a VMware backp host to do vmware backup, below there is an explanation about it.

VMWARE-BACKUP-HOST.JPG

Thiago

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@KSachaB

There seems to be a misunderstanding here :

The master server (pcs-backup-1) needs to connect to the client (trdsrvvcenter) via the required ports:

NBU cannot connect to VCenter server on 'normal' backup ports (1556, 13724, 13782) because no NBU agent is installed.
The VCenter server therefore is not the client. 

I have one concern. Is a NetBackup VMware backup host required to backup the VMware environment seeing that this is an appliance? 

The NetBackup VMware backup host is the the NBU Backup Host where NBU client is installed.
The Backup host can be the NBU Master server, Media server or a regular client. 
The Backup Host can be Windows or Linux.
Your Windows 2012 server would be the logical choice.

Have you gone through the initial chapters of NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide   where the different components are explained? 
(Some of this explained in the screenshot provided by @Thiago_Ribeiro )

The ports used is also explained in the doc mentioned by @Thiago_Ribeiro.
More info along with diagrams in NetBackup Network Ports Reference Guide  .