Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup via DFS share not working

MatsHolm
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi all

Have a customer that dumps all their database backups down to a NAS share. This done using DFS shares and the want NetBAckup to do bakcups via the DFS shares as well. But I can't get it to work. The environment is Appliance 5230 as Media Server and the Master Server is on Windows. The Master Server is the client respnsible for the share backup and the client service is logging in with an account with right permissions. All permissions on the NAS share is correct. Cross Mountpoints is checked on the policy and I have the DFS share as selection in the policy.

DFS Share is: \\domain\dfs\backup
CIFS Share is: \\nas-server\backup$

I can do backup/restore via the CIFS share but when doing backup via DFS the job ends as successful but no data is written. It looks like NBU can't use DFS to do backup.
Tried with short domain name and FQDN no change.

Anyone?

//Mats

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I think you may need both the "NetBackup Client Service" and the "NetBackup Legacy Network Service" to logon as the special user.  And did you restart both services after changing them to logon as a user?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

DFS data cannot be backed up using file-level backup while DFSR service is running.

With DFSR service running, the data is included in Shadow Copy Components.

I do not have any experience with DFS data on a NAS share and cannot find any documentation.

All I can suggest is to read through this Best Practice TN and see if any of the options will work for you:

Backup and Restore of Microsoft DFSR data using Symantec NetBackup 
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000095710