Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup with SAN Client - Netbackup 7.5

Stivet
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Good Afternoon,

I am installing two SAN Client in two AIX servers, which are connected to a SAN switch, the following is correct or not?:

- The FT media server should not be enabled on the Master Server
- Install the FT media server on Linux or Solaris, which are supported by Netbackup, Windows is not supported for this task.

-  As the FT media server and clients SAN and tape robot are connected to a switch:

• The FT media server must have one HBA, that connects to the switch in initiator mode to connect eventually with the robot.

• The FT media server must have one HBA, that connects to the switch in target mode for connect with SAN Clients operating in initiator mode.

• I must create two zones on the switch: An zone that includes the FT media server HBA in target mode, and the SAN client's HBA in initiator mode. The other separate zone would consist of the FT Media Server HBA in initiator mode and the robot.

• When I try to place one HBA target mode that has more than one port: you can not have a port in initiator mode and other in target mode ... all should be or initiator mode or target mode.

• Only QLogic HBAs are supported for target mode configured on the FT media server.

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

This all looks good except for the statement about if you have a two port HBA both ports need to be an initiator or target.

Symantec uses dual port HBAs in their 5220 and one port is a target and the other port is an initiator. So you can configure it that way.

toady777
Level 3
Partner Accredited

when using dual port cards, i have seen nbhba mark both ports on a card in target mode when you mark one ports wwn. If you then un-mark the 2nd port, it un-marks the first port on the card. (this happens on QLE2462 and 2562)

I would be intrested to see how you force only 1 port on a dual port card.

If you install 2 dual port cards, it would be nice to have 1 port on each card as target and 1 as initiator, as opposed 2 a 2 port target card and a 2 port initiator card.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Interesting. The manual says you set then independantly. You have to expressly call nbhba -modify -wwn <WWPN> -mode target for each port not one then the other follows. it may be the card you have the manual refers to QLA23xx and 24xx cards. The 5220 appliance configures automatically with one target and one initiator on a card.

HAve you checked the Hardware Compatibility for the cards? I have not. That may be your issue. 

toady777
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Aye "intresting" - i think its expected behaviour,

this technote : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH157474

Implies that ports on the same card are marked at the same time - and the work around if it doesnt happen is to mark them individually.