cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups are failing with error code 58 in netbackup

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hello All,

We are facing issue with few backup streams for some of the clients, Backup jobs are failing with error code 58. We are using two media servers in our environments.

We notice only those jobs are failing which are going to the media server 2, and also checked only few backup streams are going to media server 2 and these are failing with error code 58

For further trouleshooting we checked the storage unit which we have selected for the backup policy and found media server 2 is not select in this storage unit, So I am worried even if media server 2 is not selected in the storage they why backup are going to the media server 2 and failing with error 58.

We have already tried to bpclntcmd -clean_host_cache and bprdrequ -rereadconfig on master server. Kindly suggest further to fix this issue.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

We notice only those jobs are failing which are going to the media server 2

It means that media server 2 is not able to communicate with the client. Do nslookup from media server to client and vice versa to make sure communication is working.

Make sure media server 2 is added in the client host properties.

For further trouleshooting we checked the storage unit which we have selected for the backup policy and found media server 2 is not select in this storage unit, So I am worried even if media server 2 is not selected in the storage they why backup are going to the media server 2 and failing with error 58.

Go to the schedule and see if you are overriding the storage unit, this will always take precedence as compare to STU in attributes.

View solution in original post

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Suggest you do general connectivity troubleshooting

my version is descibed here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/general-connectivity-troubleshooting-status-23242558-...

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

We notice only those jobs are failing which are going to the media server 2

It means that media server 2 is not able to communicate with the client. Do nslookup from media server to client and vice versa to make sure communication is working.

Make sure media server 2 is added in the client host properties.

Go to the schedule and see if you are overriding the storage unit, this will always take precedence as compare to STU in attributes.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Suggest you do general connectivity troubleshooting

my version is descibed here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/general-connectivity-troubleshooting-status-23242558-...

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hello Sazz,

Thanks for the solution.

Issue was with overriding the storage unit in policy schedule Tab. We were actaully selcted storage unit which have both media server  selected and backup were failing with 58 because media server 2 is only dedicated to another site backup.

Thanks again for your help