cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups not crossing mount point

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

I have four file servers in a single policy with the bulk of their data sitting on mount points. I have the Cross Mount Points checked off (always have), but we just found out through a restore attempt that the backups have not been traversing the mount point since August. I have created a new test policy and reran the backup on just one of the four servers with the same results. Any thoughts?

Running NBU 7.6.0.1 on Windows 2008 Master.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

IMHO, Cross Mountpoints should still work as per this old TN:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65488 
Curious to see output of 'bpmount' on the client.

A couple of things to check on Windows Client:

• Mount points under control of DFS-R - These should be backed up as part of Shadow Copy Components
  • Permissions on mount points - check that NBU Client service logon account on client has proper access to theses folders.

To troubleshoot, ensure that bpbkar log folder exists on the client with logging level set between 1 and 3.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

As a follow, the backup registers as successful, so I had no way of realizing the failure until a restore request came in.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

I just looked at this in the BAR help system and found this:

"Netbackup specifically excludes mapped directories even if Follow NFS and Cross mount points are enabled.  To back up mapped directories, include the directories in the file list."

I don't remember ever seeing this before, but that could explain why your data wasn't backed up.

Marianne
Level 6

IMHO, Cross Mountpoints should still work as per this old TN:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65488 
Curious to see output of 'bpmount' on the client.

A couple of things to check on Windows Client:

• Mount points under control of DFS-R - These should be backed up as part of Shadow Copy Components
  • Permissions on mount points - check that NBU Client service logon account on client has proper access to theses folders.

To troubleshoot, ensure that bpbkar log folder exists on the client with logging level set between 1 and 3.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

It turns out that someone had turned on DFS-R without telling me, however we are still unable to get the backups working properly despite following all the documentation. I do have it running on a different policy, but can't get it working on my new policy. 

I have engaged Symantec on this and they are a bit stumped as well so far. However, as these backups are our main file servers with millions of files on them, we are now investsigating the FlashBackup policy to see if that will work better for us.

Marianne
Level 6

Maybe start another discussion about DFSR issue along with all relevant client details?