cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad choice for master server name?

Paul_Crocker
Level 2
Greetings. I have a new installation of NBU 6.0 and the client is asking to change the name of their server from the one I gave it during installation to a new name. The name they have chosen is literally "backuplib" - is this name a wise choice? Esthetics aside, it's somewhat descriptive (it is their Backup Library after all), but could that name interfere with any running modules? I was hoping to avoid the complications of rebuilding the entire application, but if they choose it, should I make the change to the server's name?
5 REPLIES 5

G_S
Level 4
Technically speaking, it's really a matter of personal choice. You could call it "Legato" if you wanted to as long as they know what it's called.

Personally, if you asked me I would say it's not their backup library, it's the server controlling the backup library and it's a bad choice. "Backupmstr" or something similar is probably more appropriate.

If you think the client isn't going to be satisfied then start over.

zippy
Level 6
Paul,

I have seen folks name servers lots of funny names, but like G.S says it a matter of choice.

If you have images on the new server and it still has the old name and you want to change the name to another server then you have to modify the bp.conf file and the vm.conf file, if its just the library itself then who cares.

JD

Paul_Crocker
Level 2
Thanks folks,

I suspect that I will be starting over. Fortunately, the server is not really running any policies yet, so whatever is in the images can simply be discarded. Frustrating though...

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Hi,
I had faced a problem earlier when the machine name used by me was 11 characters. I suggest using machine name of maximum 8 characters. This is because NetBackup can deal
with backupids of maximum length of 20 characters. Adding '_' and 10 digits of seconds since
1Jan1970 this amounts to max 19 characters.
I had problem using such backupid of length greater than 20 characters with the bpimport command.
Experts please confirm this. I am not able to recollect totally so I am not sure.

Regards,
Deepak.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Paul,
Name the server what ever you want but nake sure that the customer is OK with it. It can be difficult,really cut into your offtime, if you want to rename it later.

BTW: isn't the term "master server" an oxymoron?BS