Did you mean: 

Balancing I/O load with AdvancedDisk

commandline
Level 3
NB 6.5.4
Linux
Storage Lifecycle Policies

AdvancedDisk documentation speaks to disk management in terms of
1) space utilization among volumes in a disk pool:  will move to a new volume in a disk pool when insufficient space exists on a volume.
2) load balancing amongst media servers.

However,  in a configuration with a single media server with many clients writing to a disk pool,  all jobs will go to the same disk, yes?  and when that disk reaches a certain capacity, all subsequent jobs will then move to the next disk.

It seems though that  tends toward disk contention.  If your disk pool has two very large volumes, almost all writing will be to the first disk in the pool.

I would like to spread I/O and disk contention out among a series of disks, accessible concurrently.  Would this arrangement work?

DSU-1 configured as DiskPool1 with 1 device
DSU-2 configured as DiskPool2 with 1 device
DSU-3 configured as DiskPool3 with 1 device
DSU-4 configured as DiskPool4 with 1 device

Then group these into  single Storage Group, using the LeastRecentlySelected (-sm 2) selection method.

Any other suggestions on how to better distribute backup jobs among multiple disks, but still use  the AdvancedDisk space estimation logic?
1 REPLY 1

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes. You solution is correct. But do you really  need think about I/O load balancing? Do you using SAN-clients to utilize you full I/O bandwidth? Do you using dedicates HBA ports for every LUN?