Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Throttling

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I would like to know if there are any bandwidth Throttling for MSDP Replication one site to another.

I'm searching for this but I found only the CLIENT throthling.

I Really appreciate your help on this.

Environment:

Servers are running RHEL OS.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Look at OPTDUP_BANDWITH setting in pd.conf.

NetBackup Deduplication Guide  : p. 168: 

OPTDUP_BANDWITH 
Determines the bandwidth that is allowed for each optimized duplication and Auto Image Replication stream on a deduplication server.
OPTDUP_BANDWITH does not apply to clients. The value is specified in KBytes/second.

Default value: OPTDUP_BANDWITH = 0

Possible values: 0 (no limit) to the practical system limit, in KBs/sec

A global bandwidth parameter effects whether or not OPTDUP_BANDWITH applies.

See “About configuring MSDP optimized duplication and replication bandwidth” on page 119. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Look at OPTDUP_BANDWITH setting in pd.conf.

NetBackup Deduplication Guide  : p. 168: 

OPTDUP_BANDWITH 
Determines the bandwidth that is allowed for each optimized duplication and Auto Image Replication stream on a deduplication server.
OPTDUP_BANDWITH does not apply to clients. The value is specified in KBytes/second.

Default value: OPTDUP_BANDWITH = 0

Possible values: 0 (no limit) to the practical system limit, in KBs/sec

A global bandwidth parameter effects whether or not OPTDUP_BANDWITH applies.

See “About configuring MSDP optimized duplication and replication bandwidth” on page 119. 

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

There is also bandwidthlimit in agent.cfg, as I understand it the OPTDUP_BANDWITH limits the bandwidth for the optimized duplication stream and bandwidthlimit limits the bandwidth between from the storage servers. There is a technote about the difference

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6

Correct.
As per reference to page 119 in my previous post, herewith extract:

About configuring MSDP optimized duplication and replication bandwidth

Each optimized duplication or Auto Image Replication job is a separate process or
stream. The number of duplication or replication jobs that run concurrently
determines the number of jobs that contend for bandwidth. You can control how
much network bandwidth that optimized duplication and Auto Image Replication
jobs consume.
Two different configuration file settings control the bandwidth that is used, as follows:

bandwidthlimit 
The bandwidthlimit parameter in the agent.cfg file is the global bandwidth setting. You can use this parameter to limit the bandwidth that all replication jobs use. It applies to jobs in which a
Media Server Deduplication Pool is the source. Therefore, configure it on the source storage server.

If bandwidthlimit is greater than zero, all of the jobs share the bandwidth. That is, the bandwidth for each job is the bandwidthlimit divided by the number of jobs.

If bandwidthlimit=0, total bandwidth is not limited. However, you can limit the bandwidth that each job uses. See the following OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH description.

If you specify bandwidth limits, optimized duplication and replication traffic to any destination is limited.
By default, bandwidthlimit=0.
The agent.cfg file resides in the following directory:
■ UNIX: storage_path/etc/puredisk
■ Windows: storage_path\etc\puredisk

OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH
The OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH parameter in the pd.conf file specifies the per job bandwidth.

OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH applies only if the bandwidthlimit parameter in the agent.cfg file is zero.

If OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH and bandwidthlimit are both 0, bandwidth per replication job is not limited. 

By default, OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH = 0.

eabkchy
Level 2

i want Basic concept of Linux MSDP, can any one help me to get Doc .