Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode rule problem.

Ramiro-Magan
Level 5
Certified

Hi guys.

I am having a bit of a problem with a new site I inhereted. 

Local contact loaded tapes yesterday and when doing the inventory, I get a conflict. Checking why I find out that there are no barcode rules set on the server, so by default it is taking the last 6 characters of the barcode, instead of the first 6.

With this problem, I end up with only 4 usable characters, since the last 2 are L5.

Conflcit comes when one tape is labled BC0113L5 and the new one D00113L5, so they are both 0113L5 to the system.

So, if I create a barcode rule to put this in order and read the first 6 characters, will there be any conflict with existing tapes?

Do I need to run the lable command on all media to have the correct barcode in them?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

If you will change media id rule generation it will be in action only for new volumes - old ones are already having the MEDIA ID assigned, right?

So created new one 1:2:3:4:5:6 - inventory the robot and it should taking very first 6 characters returned from library as media ID. Use it from now on... and if some tapes will become a scratch - you can delete it and reinventory (readd) to NBU. Maybe you would like to preserve number of mounts... but everything is doable ;)

good luck.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

If you will change media id rule generation it will be in action only for new volumes - old ones are already having the MEDIA ID assigned, right?

So created new one 1:2:3:4:5:6 - inventory the robot and it should taking very first 6 characters returned from library as media ID. Use it from now on... and if some tapes will become a scratch - you can delete it and reinventory (readd) to NBU. Maybe you would like to preserve number of mounts... but everything is doable ;)

good luck.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In addition to @quebek's excellent advice - once you have re-added previously used tapes with correct media-id (1st 6 chars), you will need to label these tapes. Remember to de-select 'verify label' option.