cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode

sharan
Level 3

hi Team

Have one curious queston if in netbackup system if 2 tapes (belong to  different master servers) of similiar barcode  is found then how can we resolve the issue ?

Thanks in Advance

Shiv

4 REPLIES 4

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

I'm not sure if I understand your question.  If two tapes with the same barcode are found in the same enviornment Netbackup will reject the 2nd tape.   It will sit in your library, but Netbackup will not use it.

Can you provide any more details?

Thanks,

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

We just stick paper tape with the unique barcode in cases like this.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi, if the is in the silo and you add a tape with the same barcode the library will reject the tape, but if your tape1 is offsite and you add your tape2 with the same barcode has tape1 then will take it and netbackup will use it depending of the status of tape1, lets say tape1 expires netbackup will use tape2 has scratch and maybe you are overwriting data, this is the main risk.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

If you have two tapes with same barcode and different master server then I do not see any issue at all. Both master servers have their own catalogs so they know what's on tape belong to them.

You will run into the issue if you move these tapes among these netbackup servers. As Omar has mentioned, one NBu server may see the tape has expired and overwrite it, while the tape was still active on other master server.

But again, more clarity around the issue you are having would help people in addressing your issue.