Did you mean: 

Bare Metal Dissimilar Restore

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified

I am new to Bare Matel.

Backup Server : Windows 2003

Target Server : New Machine

Is it possible to restore the server to brand new (different server)having no OS?

3 REPLIES 3

AmolV
Level 5

Hi Twinkle,

Yes, what you intend to do is possible using BMR, and your subject line correctly indicates that it comes under "Dissimilar System Restore" category.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Discover the configuration of your new bare metal machine. Use a SRT & the Prepare-To-Discover option from the BMR console for this. Note that if the new hardware is too much different than your original hardware, you might have to add hardware specific drivers to the SRT before doing this.

2. Once the discovery is successful, make a copy of the config of your original client and then initialize if using this discovered config. You might have to map network and storage configuration from old config to the hardware discovered inthe new config.

3. Do a Prepare to restore using the new-edited config and restore from the new hardware.

Note that the old machine should not be on the network during restore else there will be IP conflict.

HTH,

Amol.

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified
As i read the documents, when i run the prepare for discovery it will ask the information.(operating system,ip address..etc).My machine is brand new machine with no OS. I have only MAC address to feed.Should i enter the protected server infromation or else ? i am bit confuse here ..

AmolV
Level 5

>>Should i enter the protected server infromation or else ?

No! it could lead to conflicts between your protected machine and the new machine when it boots up.

Use some other IP that is free.

Basically, whatever information you are providing in PTD (prepare to discover) is only going to be used temporarily while the machine configuration is being "discovered".

Once discovery is over and you have a discovered config, you can modify your original machine's config using the newly discovered config.

At this point you can map network as well as storage configuration.

But that is for later.

May be first you should complete the PTD and successfully boot your client off network/media for discovery and be able to see the discoveed config in BMR console.

I hope your boot server has all the required daemons installed and up:

tftpd, dhcpd & nfsd.