cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bare Metal Restores - restore to different OS

LeeClayton
Level 5
I've not been able to find a diffinitive answer on this.

I have netbackup 6.5.3.1 on windows, I've been able to create BMR's on windows servers but the other day I tried it on a Linux server and the server never appeared in my client list, does this mean I can only do BMR's dependant on what OS my master server is???
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Need:

BMR Master Server - controls BMR in your environment (e.g. your NB Master Server)
BMR Boot Server - provides the resources to re-build clients; need one for each flavour of O/S (Solaris, Linux, Windows) but not sure to what depth e.g. one Solaris 10 sparc boot server for all Solaris sparc versions & a separate one for Solaris 10 x86 for all Solaris x86 ???

You've read the guide I presume?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Need:

BMR Master Server - controls BMR in your environment (e.g. your NB Master Server)
BMR Boot Server - provides the resources to re-build clients; need one for each flavour of O/S (Solaris, Linux, Windows) but not sure to what depth e.g. one Solaris 10 sparc boot server for all Solaris sparc versions & a separate one for Solaris 10 x86 for all Solaris x86 ???

You've read the guide I presume?

Will_Restore
Level 6
how does one build & maintain & protect all of those boot servers?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
but then I could be reading the docs wrong!! (bad grammar?)

LeeClayton
Level 5
Yes, you need a boot server for every OS type not every system so if you have a windows 2003 boot server you can use this to hold shared resources for windows 2000/ xp, etc.
I only have windows and Linux servers so I will need a 2nd boot server with Linux on.
boot servers are just small file servers so I'd create virtual machines, also. I will only create the client ISO's when required

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Linux boot server? ;)

LeeClayton
Level 5
Boot servers are not "forward compatible" so if you have a Linux 9 boot server you can also have linux 8 as a shared resource BUT you can not have Linux 10, so in this case the best option is just to upgrade the boot server or maybe create a new one

Will_Restore
Level 6
aye, therein lies the rub, to quote someone older and wiser than I