cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benchmarking exchange client read performance ?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have looked for ways to benchmark an exchange client read performance, but have not had any luck.

Found a lot about using bpbkar32 to benchmark the disk/file system, so maybe that be used for an exchange backup too with the correct parameters.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
2 REPLIES 2

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

For a very rough number, you could try backing up an Exchange database. In the bpbkar log, you can find where it reads the .edb file off the snapshot and sends the data to bptm. A real database may not be practical because you'll only see two entries in the log for each file, for the beginning and end of the read. It would be easy to populate a test database with a couple of gigabytes of data.

I don't know whether this helps with what you're looking for. This isn't really an Exchange read. It's a snapshot file read. Also, the data transfer speed to bptm could limit the speed of the operation.

Not really as I am looking pure exchange client read performance. To avoid the network and storage unit as potiential bottlenecks.

As the VSS snapshot is Copy On Write as far I as know, the exchange read should be prettty close.

Maybe the best test would be a combination of bpfis & bpbkar commands

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue