Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice Linux File Services Performance Backups

Gunni75
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

i need some information how to configure backup from a huge number of files on Linux Host with netbackup 7.5.
host server are Linux Redhat servers.
Number of files on servers a about 2million and more small files like pictures ( jpegs, gif, png and so on )
Can i configure flashbackup policys for linux host systems to do that ?
In the netbackup manual, there are informations for support on windows ( flashbackup windows) and unix (flashbackup) only.
No informations about linux.

At this moment, i configured with Standard Policy.
The Performance are very poor. ( 3 - 4MB/sec )
Backup Time more than 26 hours.

Is the netbackup 7.5 feature "netbackup accelerator" still supported with netbackup agents on Linux RedHat Servers ?

Enviroment:

Netbackup Appliance 5220 ver. 2.5 (Master/MediaServer)
Redhat Mediaserver with Netbackup 7.5

thanks for you upcoming answers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No easy solution here, I'm afraid.

FlashBackup is supported on RHEL with VxFS / VxVM as filesytem and Volume manager. (See 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0' topic in NetBackup 7 Snapshot Client (CL):     http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126901 )

Accellerator is perfectly supported for filesystem backups on Unix/Linux, but the file types on this server are not good dedupe candidates. You may want to try it and see what the results are.

If this filesystem is on a striped lun, you can also try to break the Backup Selection into multiple streams:
select 'Allow multiple data streams' in policy attributes, then divide folders into separate streams, e.g:
NEW_STREAM
/mount/folder1
/mount/folder2
/mount/folder3
/mount/folder4
NEW_STREAM
/mount/folder5
/mount/folder6
/mount/folder7
/mount/folder8
NEW_STREAM
/mount/folder9
NEW_STREAM
/mount/folder#

If Max Jobs per Client is set to 4 or more, MPX in STU and schedule is set to 4, the above backup selection will run 4 simultaneous streams from this filesystem and should backup at 4 times the speed seen before.

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No easy solution here, I'm afraid.

FlashBackup is supported on RHEL with VxFS / VxVM as filesytem and Volume manager. (See 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0' topic in NetBackup 7 Snapshot Client (CL):     http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126901 )

Accellerator is perfectly supported for filesystem backups on Unix/Linux, but the file types on this server are not good dedupe candidates. You may want to try it and see what the results are.

If this filesystem is on a striped lun, you can also try to break the Backup Selection into multiple streams:
select 'Allow multiple data streams' in policy attributes, then divide folders into separate streams, e.g:
NEW_STREAM
/mount/folder1
/mount/folder2
/mount/folder3
/mount/folder4
NEW_STREAM
/mount/folder5
/mount/folder6
/mount/folder7
/mount/folder8
NEW_STREAM
/mount/folder9
NEW_STREAM
/mount/folder#

If Max Jobs per Client is set to 4 or more, MPX in STU and schedule is set to 4, the above backup selection will run 4 simultaneous streams from this filesystem and should backup at 4 times the speed seen before.

Hope this helps...