cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best method to backup huge number of smaller files with best performance

AnandhaKannan_D
Level 4

Hi All,

I have an idea of Flash backup method for backing up huge number of smaller files and to improve the performance but unforunately my OS linux with Ext3 is not supported. So is there any other solutions to backup with greater speed of n number files. My server files always in use  so we cannot go with accelerator option and even synthetic backup option since we dont have disk storage unit.

4 REPLIES 4

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

how many number fo files are we talking about !!?? 
does the files get modified everyday ? 

this isnt best solution though, but you can specify saparate mount points in backup selection, make list of mount points with data size number of files etc and see if you can split that backup 

if these files arent getting modified often, try to have two or more full backups in week, again not an ideal solution though......

Accelerator is usual good for many small files, even the benefit first comes after the first full backup with feature enabled and it requires a full rescan regularly. 

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Consider to tar or zip all the small files and let Netbackup protect just the zip folder.

Else I am with the NBU Accelerator team.

Thanks! at first we have decided, but we dont have storage to dump the server file for backup.. data size would be more than 2 TB with 1 crore files and every day the files are modified since it is a Zimbra server mail files.