cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice to backup DFSR server(10 TB of data) using NBU 7.5.0.6

Bharath_Achar
Level 6

I would like to backup a huge windows DFSR server with approx size of 10 TB.

Please let me know me the faster way of backing it up with in 12 hours a day.

Backup only to 6*5020 nodes and not on to tapes. And over the LAN.

I found below options to fasten the backup / shrinken the backup window :

1. SAN media client backup.

2. Client side dedupe enabled.

3. Flash backup.

4. Enable mulitple streaming say about 6 stream as in the technote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO65638&actp=search&viewlocale=en_....

Can we intergrate all above option and backup the server ???????

Need your prompt help on this.

Regards,

Bharath

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If DFSR is live then you cannnot use flashbackup as DFSR is part of the system state

You can multi-stream - again as a System state split selections - more than 6 if the system will stand it

Client side de-dupe will help reduce the amount of data passing over the LAN which should help

SAN Media server would only help if you used the multiple streams as well

Probably best would be to use accelerator, client side and multiple streams together - the first backup will not be great but all full backups after that will be - and incrementals can be improved too

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Does this 10 TB is full backup size which happens weekly or Montly.. or Daily backup size?

Do you have 10 Gig LAN between the client and Media server (5020 node)?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If DFSR is live then you cannnot use flashbackup as DFSR is part of the system state

You can multi-stream - again as a System state split selections - more than 6 if the system will stand it

Client side de-dupe will help reduce the amount of data passing over the LAN which should help

SAN Media server would only help if you used the multiple streams as well

Probably best would be to use accelerator, client side and multiple streams together - the first backup will not be great but all full backups after that will be - and incrementals can be improved too

Hope this helps

Bharath_Achar
Level 6

Thanks Mark,

My last question is-

How to backup the SAN media server to puredisk appliance over LAN not on FT.

Please help me on this.

Regards,

Bharath

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As per in your other thread:

So to have it backup to the appliance directly set its policy to use a storage unit defined on another media server (that is actually the 5020 PDDO pool) so that it backs up as a client rather than as a media server

Also ensure it is added to the Master Server Host Properties - Client Attributes and always use client side is selected

That should crack it for you

Hope this helps

Bharath_Achar
Level 6

Thanks Mark,

Could you let me know the where can find the procedure to make the PD 5020 appliance as storage unit.

Regards

Bharath

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

as per my message it should be one already - but will use the name of a media server

If you look under Storage Servers you should see the appliance and below is the media servers that have access to it

Those media servers should have storage units that show as being Disk - when you open them up you should see that the type is PureDisk

Just point the policy for the client at one of those - set it to use client side de-dupe and that should be it