cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best pratice to backup a NetBackup catalog of an Appliance

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is the best pratice to backup NetBackup master server on a master / media Appliance ?

We can backup the catalog on the local deduplicated area, but it will be difficult to access to this local space if there is NetBackup error on this appliance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You know what I am talking about then :)

My point is that a basic disk stu - if you have the space - is even simpler than a advanced disk.

Best Regards

Nicolai

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

appliance do have the Advanced disk storage unit ( with NO deduplicaton) I am using this Storage unit for catalog backup..

if you have Tape drives attached, you can direct them to tape drives or duplicate them to tape drives.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I prefer to use the basic disk storage unit with a NFS share.

This is dead simple also when peforming EMM restores. No import of tapes, No disk numbering issues. 

Just create the STU and off you go with the restore.

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Do not store the catalog backup inside the device being backed up.

Best practice is to store catalog backups offsite. 

If you write to the ADV disk you need to duplicate to tape. Send the tape offsite

Set it up to e-mail the DR file to an e-mail address that is hosted outside the company.

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So, if  there is no tape attached to the appliance, the only solution is to backup to a NFS share (as described by Nicolai) ?

If the appliance is replicated by AIR, we can backup to the local disk pool and replicate it to the remote site. But I do not know how to use this copy to restore the catalog ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can backup to MSDP pool as well. It just complicate restore process dramatic.

See : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173220

And with regards to youre second qustion - Catalog restore in a nut shell. You may be able to backup and replicate - but do you have all the task and command ready when restoring ?

This tech note explain how to do a "reverse" AIR - but it is not specific for catalog restores.

ejporter
Level 4

We have no tape drives.   We backup the catalog to Advanced Disk, replicate into the MDSP pool and then use AIR to send a copy offsite.

BTW, I recently had to recover the catalog due to some corruption.  At that point it was only stored on MSDP pool.   Although possible to recover it was painful!  Even with support involved.   So we now keep the local copy on the advanced pool.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You know what I am talking about then :)

My point is that a basic disk stu - if you have the space - is even simpler than a advanced disk.

Best Regards

Nicolai

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I totally agree with Nicolai.

Advanced Disk and MSDP can be used, but a lot of additional steps are needed to make the storage available in DR or Master server failure.

Basic Disk (on CIFS or NFS share) is the easiest.

Moved:

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Mallek

There is no point in tagging onto a 2014 post that was solved. 
Your query is also about DR-file, not catalog backup itself.

Moved: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/DR-file-in-case-of-Appliance/m-p/861934#U861934