cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best type of media server to install?

kmarkle
Level 2
Hello,

We are going to be adding a media server to our environment (NB 6.5 with 8 LTO-3 tape drives) and I was wondering what would be the best way to do this. My concern is that I will always be moving clients around to make sure that the data is equal between the master and the media server. I thought about using SSO for my media server but I still would need to limit the drives so that each server would have drives to use? It may be that I will have to use the standard media server but I thought I would check and see if anyone has any experience with this and could offer some suggestions..

Thanks!

Kevin M
2 REPLIES 2

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

If you setup your storage units into storage unit groups
you then have the option of:

Prioritized - choose the frist that is not busy, down or out of media
Failover - choose the first that is not down or not out of media
Round Robin - choose the least recently selected
or
Media server load balancing.

JoeH
Level 3
That answer is correct, using the Storage Unit Groups is the best way to let the NetBackup Master Scheduler do the load balancing for you.  You have to physically assign drives to a server and then grouping them this way works best.

You mentioned SSO and that feature is really to allow different media servers to access resources and backups that are physically attached to another server plus a lot more, it can be costly and you may be able to get what you are looking for with the storage unit groups.