cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to inventory NBU licenses

Symontec
Level 5

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone of you guys knows a good way to trace licences that actually the costumer have versus the ones he is using (inventory).

I'm now doing some matching manually, but when you look to costumer infrastructures with hundreds of clients+agents it becomes into a monster.

NetBackup 6.5.4 + Master Server Windows 2003 + Media Server Windows 2003 + Clients Every Flavor

I woul be glad to have some advices.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Symantec can email you a list of licenses and expiration dates.  It's not available online.  This will tell you what they have paid for. Just make sure the client name/location is correct; we accidentally got a list containing the license keys for our company and another that sounded similar.  If you think there are more licenses listed that you should have, double-check that.

To see what licenses are in use?  That's a manual process (so far).

Symontec
Level 5

I know what licenses they pay for and also what they are using, what we would like to know y how many agents are the using to match if they are fair with the amount of licenses. Lets expalin this with an example: They have 100 client licenses but the actually have 200 clients... Thats what we need to match and see what licenses they must buy to be fair.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Kindly take a look on How_to_use_nbdeployutil_tool

Symontec
Level 5

Hi Yohesh9881,

This is great if you would like to inventory for the capacity model... In this case it is doesn't help so much. But I appreciate your help.

Symontec
Level 5

Any other suggestion? :(

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

If you know you purchased 100,

then count the number of clients you have listed.

Each  client uses 1 client license.

you can count from the GUI or use the command

bpplclients -allunique 

then use wordcount or bring it into excell and count the number of lines.

if you find you have 175 then you need to true up by 75.

Symontec
Level 5

Thanks J. Thats what Im doing from the begining.

What about de DB Agents, Tiers of licenses when talking about DB, Ent Clients and Media Servers...?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

That's all I can say, it is very manual, trying to find out from your sales person what each one means then trying to match them up to what you are using.   about twice a year I work on that.  I learned to make notes the first time I found out what something was for so I could match it up again next audit.

Symontec
Level 5

Yeah. For sure I will post whatever I find is its possible before I finish it manually.

Thanks again for your tip.

errrlog
Level 4

Step 1: 

- I would suggest you to contact your Symantec Account Manager / the Reseller through whom you purchase the support.

- Ask them to send you a report on all the licenses under your account. They should able to get you the data in excel sheet. You will get very useful data like the count/tiers/expiry date etc.

Step 2:

- Process the data and create a summary. ( I normally migrate the data to a csv and use unix tools to process and summerize the data. 

Eg: Standard Clients x 100, Database Agents Tier 2 x 5, NB Enterprise Server Unix Tier 2 x 5. 

Step 3:

- Query the Netbackup about the Clients and Their Policy types (this will help you differenciate between normal clients and Enterprise Clients/Agents etc)

Step 4: 

- Compare the data from Step 2 and Step 3 and assess your requirements.

Yes it is a painful task, but you can create procedures from the learnings to ease your second time. 

Hope this helps!

FED_SE
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Yup, by contacting your partner or Symantec Sales rep you will need to ask them to run what is call a IBR (Install Base Report). This report WILL show everything.

If you need Symantec Sales number write back and I'll email it to you.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Get your access setup for Symantec licensing portal http://licensing.symantec.com

You should be able to see all your current and older contracts and should be able to run report against each of them. Make sure your account rep get you setup for all the present and past portals and all the licenses under these contracts are shared with you. This report will provide all the licenses you have procured. For what you have consumed, run the quick report on policy type, and count the unique clients in same policy types.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Command to show licenses installed 

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpminlicense -verbose

Or use the Remote Admin Console