cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to view backups of a client

shocko
Level 4

Guys, is there any way in the console to view all backups from all policies that have been assigned to a given client? I know I can use the 'Back,Archive and Restore' button but then I have to select the client, select the policy etc. is there a way to see all backups from all policies assigned to a given client? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

On the my NetBackup Server 7.7 for Windows Java Admon Console, I can:

- Click on Policies

- Expand Summary of All Policies

- Click on Clients

- in the right hand panel click on any client

- Click 'Filter' in the tool bar

- Click Advanced tab

- Click Client Name

- Click 'contains'

- enter some text

- click OK

...and it will list all matching clients and the policies that they are in.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What exactly do you want to 'view'?

Files backed up? If so, you can use BAR (as you already know) or use bplist or bpflist command.

If you just want to confirm successful backups, use Backup Status report or Client Backup report.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can see it in Report but only for last 28 days. Please check the "Status of Backup" report. You can report on client.

If can also check Catalog with wide range of date and specifying the client as search option. 

shocko
Level 4

Maybe I need to explain better. Say I take a server I have that's running SQL Server. It might have the following:

• Pollicy to do file based backup/system state
  • Policy to backup SQL server using the sql server client/script

Now, if I use the 'Bacup/Archive and Restore' dialog if need to know:

1. The exact client name (NB seems to be sensitive to whether the cleint is represented with shortname or FQDN)
  2. The media server being used for backup
  3. The policy being used

Once selected, fine, I can browse the daat in the backup set. What I'd like to do though would be simply pick a client and somehow see all backups set from all policies that apply to that client and browse the dat in the backups like I would in the BAR dialog. 

sdo

I posted a script here a little while back, which may help you:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bplist-not-working

...if it doesn't quite hit the mark, post back with what else you think it needs to do, and I see if I can tweak it a little bit.

shocko
Level 4

Thanks sdo. I will take a lok at the other thread. I'm suprised is this convoluted to view a clients backups! :)

sdo

It can seem a little convoluted when first starting with NetBackup - but, in my opinion, after a few goes it actually comes across as intuitive and informative.  It is quite well structured and designed to help us restore what we want, when we want, where we want - the restore GUI is perhaps the simplest part.  It is an enterprise product after all  :)

The script that I wrote is to help locate a 'client name' or 'client names' when the client no longer exists in a policy, and no longer exists in the configuration, yet backups are still retained.  I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to use the script for day to day restore management.  Essentially, the script was written to help overcome the common 'admin' mistake (shortsighted-ness) of allowing mixed case client names.  When you've worked with NetBackup for a while, in fact any large backup product, we have ways of 'working' and 'managing' our estates - because we've learnt from our mistakes in trying to bend a product to our way of working - which can ultimately lead to a mess - so it's best to work NetBackup the 'NetBackup way'.  :)

In my experience, messy and poorly structured environments without a solid basis in good naming standards always have a problem with restores no matter which backup product they use.

shocko
Level 4

Thanks Sdo. Still though, if someone comes ot me and asks 'show me everyhting thats getting backed on x', without knowing exacly which policeis have been configured against X, I would have to at least check all my policies to see if they are assigned to X. I have over 1000 policies. 

sdo

On the my NetBackup Server 7.7 for Windows Java Admon Console, I can:

- Click on Policies

- Expand Summary of All Policies

- Click on Clients

- in the right hand panel click on any client

- Click 'Filter' in the tool bar

- Click Advanced tab

- Click Client Name

- Click 'contains'

- enter some text

- click OK

...and it will list all matching clients and the policies that they are in.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Here is a command line version:

bpclimagelist -client client_name -server Master_server_name -ct [0|13]

The "-ct" is for client type.  0=Unix Standard, 13=Windows

Use "bpclimagelist -?" for syntax. There more options that allow for filtering the data.

`