cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block level Backups with Data Domain

Cesar_Jimenez
Level 3

Hi, I request some advice.

My client wants to backup FS using Netbackup, but the files are a lot of small files that are in total 10 TB aprox. Besides, Data Domain is going to be used as a VTL for this backup.

My Netbackup version is 7.6

There aren't DB's or other applications to be backed up, only FS.

Which could be the best method to backup these files as soon as possible and besides, that the files could be restored at a granular level.

Thanks for your comments,

8 REPLIES 8

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You won't be able to use Accelerator, so I would suggest that you read up on FlashBackup for Windows - but do read the entire manual sections regarding FlashBackup for Windows because it can have some limitations.  What I mean is do not be tempted to dive in there and just "try it", instead do your research before attempting to use FlashBackup for Windows.

It might not even be appropriate as we know nothing about your configuration or LUN sizes and occupancy levels.

sdo,

At the moment, the information I have is that is a Unix or Linux productive server, which is configured as a cluster but only at SO level with another server. I know that this server is configured as active and the other one is the passive server, and the information to backup is in a shared FS.

About the configuration, are we talking about the server configuration or Netbackup's?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You need to find out exact OS and version as well as filesystem type of the shared storage. You need this info to check Snapshot Client compatibility in order to use FlashBackup.

My recommendation is to use DD as OST storage where Accelerator is supported.

RiaanBadenhorst

Agree with Marianne. Get them OST instead of VTL and use accelerator.

Hello

The OS version is RHEL 6.7, and the FS type is VxFS

Besides, I confirmed Data Domain won't be used as VTL. It will be used as storage disk instead.

Marianne

Veritas seem to have stopped development on FlashBackup and Snapshot Client feature and rather concentrate on dedupe features.

According to NetBackup 7.0 - 7.6 Snapshot Client (CL):  http://www.veritas.com/docs/000006084
Flashbackup with VxVM/VxFS is supported up to RHEL 5. See top of page 1055 in above doc.

THe same is not listed in RHEL 6 section.

Another problem with FlashBackup can be found on page 2 of the CL:

The NetBackup FlashBackup policy is not currently supported when using Storage Foundation 6 or greater volume manager.

You now have to ensure that DD is used with OST plugin and appropriate NBU license (Platform based Capacity or Data Protection Optimization Option license). 
This will enable Accellerator option in the backup policy. 

Genericus
   VIP   

I have this exact situation, on solaris and linux. It works better on linux, since there are issues with some solaris hardware and data domain.

You need to factor in size for the change log.

But I have a 4TB file system on linux with many small files, tokk over 48 hours to backup to data domain as VTL. Added BOOST storage and set up accellerator, now the full can run in 15 -20 minutes...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS