cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block level backup using Netbackup

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi all,

I am trying to achieve the following for a customer. Here are the envt details that I have so far.

Production Site

Windows Master (2008) - NBU 7.5.0.6 

Vmware vshpere  - 6.0 

Vmware datastore resides on HP 3PAR storage

DR site 

Windows Media Server  (2008 ) - NBU 7.5.0.6 

HP 3PAR storage

WAN link - 10mbps

Customer wants to replicate 3par data from Prod to DR. Considering the WAN link one of the option was to backup VMs on tape and restore it to the DR site. 

However customer would like to do block level backup and restore using Netbackup. As far I have checked the netbackup compatibilty guide I dont see 3par listed so i am guessing snapshot method is not supported. 

Any one able to provide any other suggestions on any other way Netbackup can do block level backup and restore. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Since the storage is attached to ESX servers, this will not work. To perform block level or raw filesystem backup, you need NBU client installed on the server where the storage is attached. Since there is no NBU Client software for ESX, this is not possible. Best bet is to use VMware policies to take vmdk-level backups of VMs. Or get WAN link upgraded and do hardware replication.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Since the storage is attached to ESX servers, this will not work. To perform block level or raw filesystem backup, you need NBU client installed on the server where the storage is attached. Since there is no NBU Client software for ESX, this is not possible. Best bet is to use VMware policies to take vmdk-level backups of VMs. Or get WAN link upgraded and do hardware replication.