cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost for Oracle RMAN with Netbackup

LT2000
Level 4

We have a NB 7.5 environment, backing up Oracle to Data Domain appliances. We've been using the Boost plugin for NBU media servers to write to the DDs.

We are looking into the Boost plugin for RMAN to write direct to the DD. My question is: is there any integration/visibility from a NBU standpoint if I use the Boost/Rman plugin? I like the idea of writing direct to the DD, but the DBAs prefer that NBU manage the backups from a cataloging perspective, as well as offloading the monitoring of the RMAN backups to backup operations.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

BOOST for Oracle is completely independent of anything.  Oracle manages the backup through RMAN, and controls any replication through SBT_Tape copy operations.

You cannot as far as I know even mount that directory to sweep it with NBU.  No NBU will have no access or catalogging of that data.

However, you could make your oracle servers, into media servers.  Then they could write to the DD directly, as well as use the BOOST plug-in.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

BOOST for Oracle is completely independent of anything.  Oracle manages the backup through RMAN, and controls any replication through SBT_Tape copy operations.

You cannot as far as I know even mount that directory to sweep it with NBU.  No NBU will have no access or catalogging of that data.

However, you could make your oracle servers, into media servers.  Then they could write to the DD directly, as well as use the BOOST plug-in.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I believe it is either or...

When you DD Boost for Rman, there is no way that backup process can be managed by NBU or any other backup application.

Similar discussion over here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/data-domain-boost-oracle-recovery-manager