Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BpDbjobs out put is not working .

Shaikhidayath
Level 3
Certified
Hello everyone ,

This is my first discussion.

I am unable to get bpdbjobs out put in netbackup 5.1 environment. I am regulary using this command to find out the failures and run the scripts as well.
 Suddenly bpdbjobs out put is not comming while I tried. After many I tried with re-cycle the servises as well, But  o use , Still I am unablwe to get the out put .,

Server : /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/ bpdbjobs -summary

0 .

It did't give any output . Please suggest how we can fix this issue .
Please send me the resolution steps .
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nitin_bhosale
Level 3
Hi Shaikh,

I just want to confirm the output. DO you get  "0" as output or a blank line ?
If you get a blank line then you got to check the ls -l  bpdbjobs  output at the first place. The size of the binary should not be nullified or zero in size !!

If you see size as zero then you need to scp this binary from some other server with same patch level.

As you said you suddenly stopped getting the o/p so there are likely chance that the binary is nullified.

Awaiting your reply.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Amit_Karia
Level 6
Please check in bp.conf what is the vaule of
KEEP_JOBS_HOURS
or
KEEP_JOBS_DAYS

Stumpr2
Level 6
Running bpdbjobs, and the activity monitor does not report any jobs.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265949

Details:
The VERITAS NetBackup (tm) process bpjobd is not running. Use the command, /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -a to check if bpjobd is running. Before starting this process, check /etc/services to ensure the ports are correct. The default entry and port assignment for bpjobd is:

bpjobd  13723/tcp       bpjobd

Now check /etc/inetd.conf file to see if the inetd process is managing bpjobd. A common practice is to not have inetd manage bpjobd, and have the process running as a standalone process. Comment out the line for bpjobd and have inetd re-read the /etc/inetd.conf file. The command kill -HUP <inetd_pid> should work ideally here. To get the process ID (PID), use the command ps -elf |grep inetd.

# ps -elf |grep inetd
      8 S     root   197     1  0  54 20        ?    323        ?   Jan 27 ?        0:25 /usr/sbin/inetd -s
      8 S     root 16768 16132  0  51 20        ?    121        ? 11:58:26 pts/15   0:00 grep inetd

The fourth column is the PID for the process. It follows the username. In this example, we re-read the /etc/inetd.conf file with this command: kill -HUP 197.

Finally, run bpjobd in standalone mode with this command:
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpjobd&

Double check that bpjobd is running with /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -a. Now try to execute bpdbjobs again, eg: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpdbjobs -report

Note that during the time that bpjobd is down, jobs will not be stored in the job history database. So any job that was running while bpjobd is down, will not be reported.

Nitin_bhosale
Level 3
Hi Shaikh,

I just want to confirm the output. DO you get  "0" as output or a blank line ?
If you get a blank line then you got to check the ls -l  bpdbjobs  output at the first place. The size of the binary should not be nullified or zero in size !!

If you see size as zero then you need to scp this binary from some other server with same patch level.

As you said you suddenly stopped getting the o/p so there are likely chance that the binary is nullified.

Awaiting your reply.

Shaikhidayath
Level 3
Certified
I get the blank line as out put .

Server:> bpdbjobs -summary
servert :> .

Server:> ls -l

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root           0 Mar 23 06:11 bpdbjobs.

Yeah your obsolutly correct . How can i copy the bpdbjobs from one master server to another master server . Please assist .

Thanks,
Shaik

Stumpr2
Level 6
As long as the exact same version of NetBackup and  the same operating system  is being used you can simply ftp or scp  the file.

It looks like you did a redirect to the file bpdbjobs that caused it to be zero file length. Always be careful with those redirects.

Shaikhidayath
Level 3
Certified

As long as the exact same version of NetBackup and  the same operating system  is being used you can simply ftp or scp  the file.

It looks like you did a redirect to the file bpdbjobs that caused it to be zero file length. Always be careful with those redirects.

Bob Stump
VERITAS - "Ain't it the truth?

Great Thanks for your help .

Nitin_bhosale
Level 3
Yeah Bob is right. You need to copy the binary  which is having....
1>Same NBU patch level.
2>Same OS make.

Then simply replace the binary on the problematic system with a good one. An you are ready to generate reports again.