cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffer Tuning

MagMan
Level 3

hi,

Please i need your help, i want to know wich values can i enter in the buffers files for :

• SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS.
• SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK.
• NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
• NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK.
• NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_NDMP.
• NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE.

My media server is a windows 2008 server R2, with 64 GB of physical memory.

thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

Hi MagMan, are you facing any performance issues.? The default values are fine in most of the environments.

You can refer to the "Performance Tuning Guide" which gives details how to determine the values and also increase them

Symantec NetBackup™ 7.0 - 7.1 Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4483

This should clear all your queries.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

Hi MagMan, are you facing any performance issues.? The default values are fine in most of the environments.

You can refer to the "Performance Tuning Guide" which gives details how to determine the values and also increase them

Symantec NetBackup™ 7.0 - 7.1 Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4483

This should clear all your queries.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 262144 (256K, the default value for disk as I recall, unsure for tape).

I would increase NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS to at least 256 and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE to 512.

There is a section of the performance tuning guide describing the memory requirement, please review it. If you see status 89 during backup you increased the buffers to much compared to the load on the master/media server.

MagMan
Level 3

thank you for your responses.. the error status that i always get for many clients are (13, 25, 41), so i increased the time out in the maters proprities, but i still have the same erros, when i verified i found that better to configure the files of Data_buffers, so when i read the docs about buffer tuning i didn't really understand what i've to do, and wich values i should enter... Please, i need to know the exact values i should put in the files, and what about the other files for disk backup ??

thanks for your intention and for your help

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I cannot see how changing buffer sizes will fix 13, 25, 41 errors.

You need to troubleshoot each error separately.
This will include initial comms between master/media server and client(s), testing client(s) ability to generate data stream (test read speed from disk) and testing the network between client(s) and media server.

Logs needed to troubleshoot:

On media server: bpbrm and bpbrm

On client(s): bpcd and bpbkar

MagMan
Level 3

hi marianne,

thank you for your respons.

so, this is a random concern that affects customers SQL Policy. once it passes and the other not. communication is ok, no defect found. this is why I said it's better tuning Buffer files so that may be can be resolve the issue.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Buffer tuning will NOT help these error codes at all. These are purely networking issues.

Marianne

In addition to the logs listed above that you need for troubleshooting, add dbclient to the list of logs on SQL clients.

You really need to troubleshoot each error separately.

MagMan
Level 3

hi,

ok thanks, i'll troubleshoot the errors and will give you a feedback.

thanks a lot for your your help

Marianne

If you need our assistance, please start a new discussion for each error.

Include all text in Job details for failed jobs as well as all relevant logs.

Copy logs to reflect process name (e.g. bptm.txt) and upload as File attachments.