cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building new netbackup server with same name as old server

lowtempo
Not applicable
Partner

We are in process of building a new backup server on new hardware.   We are thinking of migrating the old catalog and data files from the old netbackup server to the new one.    I understand that netbackup recommends that the name of server and IP address stays the same for a seemless transition.

My question is...   Since im building the new server while the existing server is running, can I install netbackup on the new server with a different ( temporary name) and temp IP address then change the name later, for example, right before we restore the catalog to the new server?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes Lowtempo. You can do it.

So the way you can do this is

1. Install the server with a temp name and IP and have the OS configured, patches installed,etc.

2. Take a downtime on your Netbackup master server. Before shutting the services make sure you have a healthy catalog backup right before you shut it. Make sure no jobs are running the same time. You can do it either by disabling all policies(except catalog) or running following command nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling. Recommended is to have all policies disabled. Make a note of enanled policies.

3. Once the catalog backup is taken and services are down, you can change the name and IP of the old master server and change the name of the new master server to the old name which is currently being used. Please install the Netbackup software at the same version as old master server with the newly configured name(same as the old server).

4. Perform the catalog recovery with the steps mentioned in the admin guide. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
If you are installing Netbackup on the new server ensure the hostname is configured.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Yes Lowtempo. You can do it.

So the way you can do this is

1. Install the server with a temp name and IP and have the OS configured, patches installed,etc.

2. Take a downtime on your Netbackup master server. Before shutting the services make sure you have a healthy catalog backup right before you shut it. Make sure no jobs are running the same time. You can do it either by disabling all policies(except catalog) or running following command nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling. Recommended is to have all policies disabled. Make a note of enanled policies.

3. Once the catalog backup is taken and services are down, you can change the name and IP of the old master server and change the name of the new master server to the old name which is currently being used. Please install the Netbackup software at the same version as old master server with the newly configured name(same as the old server).

4. Perform the catalog recovery with the steps mentioned in the admin guide. 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The new master server does not have to have the same IP address, it only must have the same name, exactly the same name at the point in time at which you install NetBackup Master Server, i.e. just before you perform the catalog recovery.

The IP can be anything - but watch out for media servers and odd clients (especially DMZ clients being NAT'd across an internal FW) that have had an IP (maybe real, maybe NAT'd) plus name of the master added to their hosts file.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree - hostname and installation path MUST be the same. IP address can be different. Easiest migration is to backup catalog on old server to usb drive. Prepare new server with same name, different IP and not join domain / DNS while catalog backup is running on old server, and install and patch NBU on new server. Copy DR-file to usb drive. Turn off old server and move usb drive to new server. Map to same drive letter as old server. Recover catalog from usb drive. Change to original IP, join DNS, reboot. Reconfigure devices if master is also media server. Run connectivity tests, test backups and restores.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

I agree with both Marianne and SDO. But I have saved a lot of time in past by keeping the IP same. I will recommend keep the IP same unless it is quite required to change it.