cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin> vxlogview -p 51216 -d all >d:\logging\out.txt V-1-1-13 NOTE: There were 1,198 corrupted log records.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin> vxlogview -p 51216 -d all >d:\logging\out.txt
V-1-1-13 NOTE: There were 1,198 corrupted log records.

What this vxlogview basically does 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The command to delete the vx logs is ...

vxlogmgr -F

I don't think this is in the TN, as deleting logs wasn't something I covered - the TN was getting too complex.

This will delete the unified logs, aprt from the ones that are in use.  These MUST NOT be deleted as it will probably break NBU until it is restarted.

The legacy logs (in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin and /usr/openv/volmgr/debug ) can be delete with the operating system delete/ rm commands, but again, you must not delete ayny log files in use (so just avoid deleting 'todays').

The logs under /usr/openv/logs are the unified logs.

The commands to view them are in http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805 under the section "Reading VX logs".

The paths to the commands are :

As far as where is the commands are, look in the post

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-basics-and-how-make-your-life-easier

Under section A

Martin

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

watsons
Level 6

It is doing nothing , you did not supply the command with "-o" which is to indicate what process you want the logs for.

Example:

vxlogview -p 51216 -o 111 -d all  > d:\out.txt

That means you want to get "nbemm" process (its OID is 111) for Netbackup (its ProdID is 51216).

you can also do this for similar purpose

vxlogview -p NB -o nbemm -d all > d:\out.txt

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

So this is basically used for seeing the logs of the services/daemons?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, it is used to convert the logs of the  processes that log in these 'unifed' logs to a readable format.

Logs such as bptm are ,legacy' - just straight text files that can be opened and read.

THis TN explains everything you need to know about unified logs.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

NOTE. The TN talks about copying unifed logs - this is all correct, but it is much much easier to use the nbcplogs command

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126223

This is only needed if you are sending in logs to symantec, and the symantec TSE will be able to send you the correct version of the command you need to run.

The unifed logs (vx) logs are created in a raw format.  Each log line contains many numbers.

When you run vxlogview it causes NBU to look up these numbers in 'library' files and replace the numbers with 'readable' words.

raw log files are therefore samller than when they have been processed.  Generally raw log files should be sent in to symantec, not processed.

When I run vxlogview I usually use these options :

vxlogview -p 51216 -i <oid number> -d all

Some logs don't accept -i, but most do.

EG.

EMM (111) is a NBU process.  The EMM log will contain MDS (143) log lines also.  So the 'MDS' log is not a separate log file it is part of the EMM log.  If I run -o 111 I will only see the EMM lines, if I use -i 111, then I will see the EMM lines and the MDS lines ...

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

so we use vxlogview for studing the logs in human understandable format?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just to finish the story ...

Here is a raw log line (the last line in the file)

0,51216,219,111,1066955,1345892654820,20454,42,0:,4:Exit,21:RemTimer::doDPSUpdate,5

Here is the same line processed through vxlog view

25/08/2012 12:04:14.820 [Debug] NB 51216 rsrcevtmgr 219 PID:20454 TID:42 File ID:111 [No context] 5 [RemTimer::doDPSUpdate] Exit

By chance, although this is the EMM log, the line I picked out is actually related to the resource event manager which has a -o number of 219, but is one of the 'logs' that appears in EMM log, as opposed to it's own log.

I will prove this by running the vxlog command using -o and not -i.

(I copied the log to a separate directly, so it is not being updated)

Now we see that the last line displayed is a 'real' '111' line, shown by "NBEMM 111" as opposed to the other line that was "rsrcevtmgr 219".  

25/08/2012 12:04:13.343 [Debug] NB 51216 nbemm 111 PID:20454 TID:6 File ID:111 [No context] 1 [DeviceAllocatorImpl::updateMachineState] retval - <0>

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, As you can see in my example, the 'raw' vxlog line is not very readable.  Sometimes the raw log is fine to read, as it does contain some txt, but usually they have to be run through vxlogview.

To be honest I wouldn't worry to much about vx logs, apart from knowing how to send them is, and change the verbose levels (explained in the TN).

vx logs are very difficult to read, because they are multithreaded.  From example, if we look in say the bptm log (not a vx log and single threaded) you can read it like a book.

[1234] xxxx
[1234] xxxx
[1234] xxxx
[1244] yyyy
[1244] yyyy
[1244] yyyy

Where xxxx and yyyy are lines relating to a particular 'activity'

So if I search all the lines containing a given 'PID' (shown in [xxx] ) then those lines relate to a single activity, eg. mounting a tape.

With VX logs the PID (process ID ) is shown, and TID (Thread ID)

nbemm 111 PID:20454 TID:6 

The problem, is that if xxx and yyy are lines relating to a particular activity ...

nbemm 111 PID:20454 TID:6  xxxx
nbemm 111 PID:20454 TID:6  yyyy
nbemm 111 PID:20454 TID:7  xxxx

One second, TID 6 could be dealing with the 'activity', the next moment, TID 6 is dealing with some other activity (yyyy) and TID 7 has taken over 'xxxx'.

That means if I search for all the TID 6 lines, I get multiple lines returned that could have nothing to do with each other,

Unfortunately, NBU is too complex for any one person to know exactly what the logs lines will be for every possibly thing NBU can do ... therefore the only way to read these logs:

1/ You need to know what NBU will do next and to be able to find the next line in the sequence.

or

2/  Run the job on a working machine and compare the logs line by line to spot the differencies.

Generally, I use both 1/ and 2/ when reading these logs.  For something 'simple' like a backup, I know the main steps thet appear in the logs, so I canfind one line and then look for the next.

For example, NBPEM will start a backup ,and then submit the job to nbjm

So, I find the line in nbpem that shows the job starting, and I then know that the next line I have to look for is where nbpem gos to contact nbjm, which may, or may not be the same TID).

But...

If I have an issue I have never seen before, I have no idea what the logs should be showing, I then usually run the job on a working system to get the logs, and then compare these to the non-working logs.

With legacy logs (bptm etc ...) we don't have this issue, you can just spearate the logs out by searching for the individual PIDs.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

On which path i find vxlogview command?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

cd /usr/openv/logs/nbpem

$ ls

51216-116-3708150285-120721-0000000000.log

How to view this log?The path where to go and the command to run?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Look at the TN I posted the answers are all in that

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

Why do you not read what I post - I said that this TN contains all you need to know about the logs.

See the section Reading VX logs

(You will need to use the correct oid number, the examples in the TN show 111 logs, so you will need to use 116).

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-basics-and-how-make-your-life-easier

Under section A

You should know by now where the NBU binaries are, there are only loacted in 3 different directories, so I am unsure why you are unable to just look for them.  Further, you should have the paths set in the your profiles PATH variable so that you don't have to keep entering the full path.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

$ cd /usr/openv/netbackup/logs
]$ ls
admin      bpbackup  bpcd       bpdbm      bpdm      bphdb         bpjava-usvc  bpmount     bporaimp    bprestore  bpVMreq     mklogdir  nbliveup  ncf           symlogs   vnetd
backint    bpbkar    bpcompatd  bpdbsbdb2  bpfilter  bpinst        bpjobd       bpnbat      bporaimp64  bpstsinfo  dbclient    mtfrd     nbostpxy  patch         tar
bp         bpbrm     bpdb2      bpdbsbora  bpfis     bpjava-msvc   bpkeyutil    bporaexp    bppfi       bpsynth    infxbsa     nbdb      nbproxy   
bparchive  bpbrmds   bpdbjobs   bpdhcp     bpfsmap   bpjava-susvc  bplist       bporaexp64  bprd        bptm       liveupdate  nbfsd     nbvault   sybackup      vault

[
cd /usr/openv/logs
]$ ls
bmrd  bmrs  bmrsetup  dsm  nbars  nbaudit  nbemm  nbevtmgr  nbftclnt  nbjm  nbkms  nbpem  nbrb  nbrmms  nbsl  nbstserv  nbsvcmon  nbutils  nbvault

Where i find unified logs here.We are using NBU 7.1.How to view those unified logs and the path to use and the command to delete these unified logs

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PLEASE read through Martin's post once again that you have marked as solution:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cprogram-filesveritasnetbackupbin-vxlogview-p-51216-d...

Then read through the two TechNotes in Martin's post.

You will find the answers to your questions.

If you still need more information, read through Chapter 3 (Using Logs) of Troubleshooting Guide.

vxlogview and vxlogcfg commands are covered in detail in the NBU Commands manual.

This NBU 6 Unified Logging Quick Reference  is still valid: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50950

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The command to delete the vx logs is ...

vxlogmgr -F

I don't think this is in the TN, as deleting logs wasn't something I covered - the TN was getting too complex.

This will delete the unified logs, aprt from the ones that are in use.  These MUST NOT be deleted as it will probably break NBU until it is restarted.

The legacy logs (in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin and /usr/openv/volmgr/debug ) can be delete with the operating system delete/ rm commands, but again, you must not delete ayny log files in use (so just avoid deleting 'todays').

The logs under /usr/openv/logs are the unified logs.

The commands to view them are in http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805 under the section "Reading VX logs".

The paths to the commands are :

Under section A

Martin