cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C: drive lost, but NB database still on D: - how to reinstall NB Master

amcdade
Level 3

I have today lost all hope of recovering the C: drive of my Win2008 R2 server which is the master server for my NetBackup domain. The NetBackup software and database are on the D: drive. I am going to have to format the C: drive and then install Windows and reinstall Netbackup somehow. What's the best way of doing this and pointing the Master server back at the copy of database etc that's still there? If I choose D: when I install NetBackup, will it overwrite the database that's there? Do I need to map a different volume to D:, install then map the old drive back to D:? Is there a guide I can read to work out my best option? I know whe NB database is OK, because the Windows server shutdown cleanly, but just never came back. I can see all the data is still on the D: drive too.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Good idea to keep the D drive safe

If NBU was installed on the D drive and everything kept as normal (no special moves of db folder etc.) then you should be OK

The important thing will be to use the same name when you install NBU - so either short or FQDN which ever it was originally

After a re-install and patch to the same version you should find that shutting down NBU, moving the Veritas folder somewhere safe and replacing it with your safely copied Veritas folder should get you back up and running

If not you will need the same name (short or FQDN) anyway and installation path to do a catalog recovery in any case

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Just an initial thought. You could reinstall your O/S on to your C:\. If nothing but the Netbackup install is on your D:\, you can format that. Then reinstall Netbackup on to the formatted D:\, then recover your catalog in Netbackup. That should do the job, unless anyone else has a cleaner way??

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Do not format or overwrite the D: drive at all. Retain data on d:\ until you are all good again.

I am not export on Windows - but I assume (dangerous - I know)  a bunch of registry keys it all it need to get Netbackup up and running again after OS install becuause data and binary are unaffected on d:

You may also rise a support ticket with Symantec Support as well to get their view on the case.

amcdade
Level 3

I'm thinking I'll move the current D: drive away, unmount it, then put an empty temporary D: drive in it's place, install Netbackup, point it at D: to get all the services and registry settings in place then stop it all, swap the original D: drive back into place and magically it will all work. I hope so anyway.

Carl_Elkins
Level 3

I'd suggest opening a case with Symantec Support before you do anything; a little advise up front could save you a lot of work later...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Good idea to keep the D drive safe

If NBU was installed on the D drive and everything kept as normal (no special moves of db folder etc.) then you should be OK

The important thing will be to use the same name when you install NBU - so either short or FQDN which ever it was originally

After a re-install and patch to the same version you should find that shutting down NBU, moving the Veritas folder somewhere safe and replacing it with your safely copied Veritas folder should get you back up and running

If not you will need the same name (short or FQDN) anyway and installation path to do a catalog recovery in any case

Hope this helps

amcdade
Level 3

Thanks. That's what I'll be trying. Just as soon as the eleventy-million Windows updates have finished installing!

amcdade
Level 3

If anyone is interested, this worked perfectly. I had to re-enter VMware credentials, and fill in the list of servers allowed to access the Master, then all backups started working fine. Restores too. Phew!

<wipes sweat from brow>

Carl_Elkins
Level 3

Glad to hear it :)