cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIFS Backup on RHEL

magteix
Level 3

Hi All,

Due to we have no longer NDMP Backups on place, we are trying to back it up a CIFS (NTFS on NetApp) on our RHEL NBU Server, but we are receiving a lot of warning/errors.

Here what I did:

1. Mount CIFS Share

mount -t cifs -o username=netbackup,password=12345678,dir_mode=0755,file_mode=0775,defaults,directio,rsize=65536,wsize=57344 //filer-serv/C_SHARES$ /netbackup_cifs/

2. Create policy

Policy Type: Standard

Allow multiple data streams: yes

Backup Selection: /netbackup_cifs/

3. Run the backup

The "backup" complete and all files are backed up, but with errors. I have attached the job log file. Can someone help me

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jmontagu
Level 4
Employee

I believe you will find that even though the job details indicate a status 0 that you do not have a valid image (restorable). You will note that after all the warning messages you see this entry:

08/11/2014 17:13:40 - Info bpbkar (pid=7875) bpbkar waited 0 times for empty buffer, delayed 0 times

No data was transferred by bpbkar

The problem is that you are attempting to mount the NetApp Filer as a CIFS share in a Linux Environment. CIFS is for Windows Environments and NFS is for Linux. Please see the following documentation which describes how to backup CIFS shares in a Windows environment.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198175

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Who is the client?

Sounds like you are using a media server as the client with a mount point to the fileserver using the cross mount points feature.

I am curious about using policy type "MS-Windows" for this backup. It might not work at all. If you had a Windows server near the NDMP device that you could map the network drive. Then you could certainly use the Windows policy type. 

It seems odd to use an MS protocol between a bunch of Linux servers...

Could you share the folder from Netapp using NFS and then mount that natively in the RHEL system?

EDIT:

Information about the error you are getting:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38434

jmontagu
Level 4
Employee

I believe you will find that even though the job details indicate a status 0 that you do not have a valid image (restorable). You will note that after all the warning messages you see this entry:

08/11/2014 17:13:40 - Info bpbkar (pid=7875) bpbkar waited 0 times for empty buffer, delayed 0 times

No data was transferred by bpbkar

The problem is that you are attempting to mount the NetApp Filer as a CIFS share in a Linux Environment. CIFS is for Windows Environments and NFS is for Linux. Please see the following documentation which describes how to backup CIFS shares in a Windows environment.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198175

magteix
Level 3

Hi INT_RND,

Yes, we are using the Media/Master Server (RHEL) as the client with a mount point to the filer.

We can't share the folder from NetApp using NFS due to NTFS permissions. That is the reazon for what we can't mount the share as NFS on RHEL

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There was another suggestion to use a Windows Media server or client where CIFS share can be backed up from.
See TN in above post.

Have you tried this yet?

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You don't need to mount the volume, also for backing up NTFS permissions correctly, you need to back it up from a Windows client. Even then, you may find some metadata skipped, the correct way to backup NAS volumes with all metadata is a volume dump (using NDMP). Other option is to use a Windows proxy client.

Symantec have a technote for this problem, and also one mentioned above http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34483

Yuvi
Level 5
Certified

Hi ,

Try to change the credentials in the master server client and legacy client services for the account which is having acces to the NDMP filesystem monuted in the server , try triggering backup it will work.

If it works plan accrdingly for the further backups.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If possible, please consider to mount via NFS. If user mapping from unix user to ntfs user is well configured(like YOUR_DOMAIN¥administrator <= root) on NetApp, you can access files under ntfs security style path via NFS.