cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIFS and NFS configuration in NetBackup

shekarsraj558
Level 4

How can i configure the CIFS and NFS in windows Netbackup 7.7.1 version.

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What do you want to do with CIFS and NFS?

Backup CIFS/NFS data?

or use them as Backup storage (Disk Storage Units) ?

shekarsraj558
Level 4

yes Backup CIFS/NFS data.

Marianne

NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I  is your friend (click on Download Attachments).

For CIFS (to be used with MS-Windows policy type), search the pdf for Backup Network Drives.

For NFS (to be used with Standard policy type) search the pdf for Follow NFS.

For CIFS backup, carefully read the topic that explains how to use UNC path (not drive letter) and requirements for NetBackup Client Service on the Windows Server or Client where the data will be backed up from.

If anything in above manual is unclear, let us know.

shekarsraj558
Level 4

shekarsraj558
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for ur reply that was very clear in manual but iam confusing at UNC.what is UNC path how can i create UNC path and where i can use it in backup selection.

Marianne

Have you looked at the the examples in Admin Guide under this topic?

Example of using UNC paths to back up a shared folder  

You may want to ask your Windows Admin to help you define UNC path for CIFS share in your environment..

You can use hostname or IP address for the NAS server followed by share name (as can be seen in the examples in the manual):

win_PC        Windows computer (not necessarily a NetBackup client)
TestData       A shared folder on win_PC

\\win_PC\TestData
or
\\IP-address\sharename

You can test the UNC path by opening the path on the Windows server/client with 'Start' \\IP-address\sharename 

Backup Selection is the 4th tab of of a policy.
This is where you type in the UNC path.

The Client tab is where you add the Server or Client name that you are using to backup the share.

shekarsraj558
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your reply here we are using openstorage disk backups(OST plugins) is there another way to backups NFS/CIFS without creating storage server(OST plugins) in Netbackups.can u provide the steps backuing up NFS/CIFS for openstorage(ost) disk backups.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Why do you think you need to perform some kind of action with OST plugins?  You should not need to do this (unless there is somethign that you haven't explained yet), if you are simply using a NetBackup Client to act as a gateway/funnel/share-reader to access/read the CIFS or NFS source.

Using a UNC path as an entry in a backup policy "selection list" should be straight-forward.  e.g. create a new backup policy, add the client that is going to be doing the reading/backup, add whatever schedules you need, and then add a UNC path in the selection list, e.g. instead of backing up "D:\mydata" in a backup policy you would specify "\\remotehost\sharename" in the backup policy selection list.

To find out what the share names are on a Windows based source "CIFS/SMB server", i.e. the remote host which has the shares, then logon to the Windows server and issue the DOS/cmd "net share" to list the shares on that Windows based remote host.   If the remote host "CIFS server" is a NetApp or some other kind of NAS server, then use their tools to list the "share names".

In summary, when using a NetBackup Client to act as a gateway/funnel/access-host to read UNC paths, then the NetBackup Client is also acting as the "CIFS/SMB client" and the remote NAS server is the "CIFS/SMB server".

shekarsraj558
Level 4

Hi I created the CIFS share on PC and i created the storage unit it does`nt showing  capacity.when i run policy for this it showing disk volume down.

Any solution for this

Marianne

Have another look at my questions on 18 April: https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/cifs-and-nfs-configuration-netbackup#comment-11615351 

My questions were: 

What do you want to do with CIFS and NFS?

Backup CIFS/NFS data?

or use them as Backup storage (Disk Storage Units) ?

To which you answered:

yes Backup CIFS/NFS data. 

Now it seems that you want to use CIFS share as backup storage? i.e. create Storage Unit on the CIFS share? not backup the CIFS share?

Creating a Storage Unit on CIFS share is also covered in NBU Admin Guide I.

Look for this topic:

Configuring credentials for CIFS storage and disk storage units