cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIFS share backup in Netbackup

Brits
Level 6

hi Team, 

I have a plan to take CIFS share backup. The method choosed is to map CIFS to any VM and get backed up as file level . is it possible ?

does it require license also ?

Regards

Brits

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Why not map NAS file share directly to master or media server and back it up from there? For Windows server, you need to start NBU Client service as a user with permission to share, the server name as Client in policy, backup network drive in attributes and UNC path in Backup selection.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

It's possible and does not need a license, but why not backup the files directly from the server they are hosted on?

Brits
Level 6

hi Revarooo , 

thank you for answering. Do I need to install netbackup client agent on VM server and configure it as filesystem and mapped drive will also get backed up ?

or

configure the policy as  "snapshot based policy" and it will take Mapped drive backup ? 

CIFS is shared drive from NAS device and its not allocated/hosted to any server so i think its not possible to take backup directly from server. (other than mapped drive)

RiaanBadenhorst

Your option 1 is correct for CIFS method.

Another option is to configure NDMP backup and write to media server across LAN, or zone tape devices to NDMP filer and write direct to tape.

Marianne
Why not map NAS file share directly to master or media server and back it up from there? For Windows server, you need to start NBU Client service as a user with permission to share, the server name as Client in policy, backup network drive in attributes and UNC path in Backup selection.

Brits
Level 6

Hi Marianne, 

thank you very much for suggestion.

what is the difference if I am mapping CIFS share to any VM or master/media server ? will data transfer be better from master /media  server as compare to VM server mapping ?

you need to start NBU Client service as a user with permission to share -> The netbackup service account has read/write permission on CIFS share. I need to use the same account for mapping the CIFS share on master or media server. Is this what you wanted to say ?

the server name as Client in policy -> Netbackup master server needs to add in filesystem backup policy and it will add mapped drive also . Is this what you wanted to say ?

backup network drive in attributes and UNC path in Backup selection -> what should be here ?

Brits
Level 6

thanks Riaan for suggestion. as of now , I am considering option 1.

NDMP backup requires NDMP license ....right ?

RiaanBadenhorst

If you map from Master / media data flows from filer > LAN > Master / Media > Storage, if you map on VM it flows filer > LAN > VM > LAN > Master / Media > Storage

Extra step involved which is not required.

Brits
Level 6
Thnx Riaan again.. I am waiting Marianna response also of the question I have asked on her comment/input.

Marianne
Exactly as per Riaan's comment. Filer > LAN > Master/Media > Storage is shortest backup route.

Brits
Level 6
Thnx Marianne. The last thing I wanted to know--what level of permission the account should have to perform backup/restore of cifs mapped drive.

Marianne
Read permission on all files and folders for backup. Write permission for restore.
Moved:

Marianne