cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating monthly total backup

Durodup
Level 3

Hi,

New to Netbackup and netbackup community.

I'm looking for some help on calculating the total amount of data being backup per Month, in order to estimate capacity license.

I run multiple agents like:Windows filebackup, Oracle, SQL, VMs

Some of my backup policies are incremental, differential and fulls; which are weekly and monthly full.

I have exported a months worth of data from the activity monitor, this export includes incremental, differential, and full information.

The problem I'm having is some of the jobs like the SQL jobs have a (job schedule) that is full_onsite,Default Application, SQL - application and full, I'm not quite sure if I should be adding all of these backup into the monthly totals.

Also is there a tool that I can run that would give me a Monthly totals?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Please read about the nbdeployutil command. This command help you with the issue you are facing...

Link to admin guide for commands is at:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5182

Quote:

"nbdeployutil – deployment utility that gathers and analyzes master server
information regarding clients and capacity"

"On UNIX and Linux systems, the directory path to this command is
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/
On Windows systems, the directory path to this command is
<install_path>\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\"

"DESCRIPTION
The nbdeployutil utility gathers and analyzes deployment information from the master server. The utility performs a deployment analysis according to one of two NetBackup licensing models, either Traditional  licensing or Capacity Licensing. A Traditional Licensing deployment analysis counts the number of clients and servers then compares this information against licensed options. Capacity Licensing deployment analysis calculates how much source data is protected.
The command is run in two steps. nbdeployutil gathers the data in the first step and analyzes the data in the second step.
The utility generates a log file named nbdeployutil-gather-timestamp.log during the gathering operation. The utility generates a log file named nbdeployutil-report-timestamp.log during the analysis and the report
generating operation. By default the log files are created in the directory where the gathered data resides."

View solution in original post

Durodup
Level 3

Thank you all for your help,

I have decided to run the nbdeployutil for the required information

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Please read about the nbdeployutil command. This command help you with the issue you are facing...

Quote:

"DESCRIPTION
The nbdeployutil utility gathers and analyzes deployment information from the master server. The utility performs a deployment analysis according to one of two NetBackup licensing models, either Traditional  licensing or Capacity Licensing. A Traditional Licensing deployment analysis counts the number of clients and servers then compares this information against licensed options. Capacity Licensing deployment analysis calculates how much source data is protected.
The command is run in two steps. nbdeployutil gathers the data in the first step and analyzes the data in the second step.
The utility generates a log file named nbdeployutil-gather-timestamp.log during the gathering operation. The utility generates a log file named nbdeployutil-report-timestamp.log during the analysis and the report
generating operation. By default the log files are created in the directory where the gathered data resides."

Shaf
Level 6

Hi,

And From Opscenter also you can extract total montly backup Report,

If you need any help, please let me know, I can proivde the steps..

Durodup
Level 3

Hi Ah45,

I would greatly appreciate you help,

I looking at the OPScenter report templates but I do not see one for monthly data, If I create a report would I be using the template under "Backup Window" job size?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OpsCenter gives a total of the data backed up but does not represent a figure for Front End TB

You need to use the nbdeployutil to do that and then analyse the output carefully to check and overlap

Otherwise you need to just run an analysis on all of your servers to see what their used disk space is which gives you an idea FE TB figure

Shaf
Level 6

Durodup,

what kind of Opscenter license you have,

opscenter analytics???

Durodup
Level 3

IThanks,

I only need to know the total amount of data being backup, how much data we backup per month, as indicated I have exported a month worth of data from our netbackup activity monitor, I'm just not sure if I should add up only the full backups or do i need to add the application full. fullonsite or incremental etc... 

Durodup
Level 3

No we are too cheap to have analytic, just the plain out of the box Opscenter

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You initially said you need this to calculate for a capacity license and that is what the nbdeployutil does for you - it creates everything in a spread sheet for you and shows what capacity license you need.

If you want to do it manually just go to the Admin Console - NetBackup Management - Reports - Client Backups and run the report in there for a weekend or when ever you did a full weekly / monthly backup run.

Then File - Export, save it to a text file and open excel and point to the text file

It should load it straight in - sum column F - then point to that sum selection using a simple formula (assuming you sum in this example is in box F123) of =F123/1024/1024/1024 and you get you full backup TB figure

Shaf
Level 6

then we cannot create custom reports and neither right sql query..

plz check with existing reports, that may be helpfull

Durodup
Level 3

Thank you all for your help,

I have decided to run the nbdeployutil for the required information

Shaf
Level 6

Please mark as solution the comment which helped, instead of marking yourself

from above

i can see that

quebek wrote

"Hello

Quote:

"

Hi Shaf,

Can you provide these steps. Could not find the right parameters to generate a customized report and the existing templates to not give such data. Maybe i am missing something? Thanks.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@301 it is always best to start a new discussion, rather than tagging onto a 3-year-old post.

@Shaf has not visited this forum over the last couple of months.

There have been other useful suggestions - such as @Mark_Solutions' post where he explained how to use Client Backup report, and @quebek who suggested nbdeployutil.

Please start a new discussion if suggestions in this thread are not useful.