cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling NBU 8.1.1's RESTful API

tythecellist
Level 4
Partner

I have poured through Veritas' documentation on the process for making calls to NBU 8.1.1 using its RESTful API. 

But I'm unclear on something and I've hit a stumbling block.  Is there a way to initiate a login without using a JWT (JSON Web Token) initially ? I'd really prefer not to leave the schema's (required ?) password in cleartext floating about, and I had thought I could replace the need for the token by using --cacert <certname> having previously used

curl -X POST https://masterservername:1556/netbackup/security/cacert -H 'content-type: application/vnd.netbackup+json;version=1.0' --insecure

... with which to generate the cert.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

AFAIK, you can't skip login phase or use cert/token for that becasue token (JWT) has "validity" option and can be used for  86400 sec (1 day). You need the token for each request.  

POST /login

Description

Logs in with the username and password and receives a JSON Web Token (JWT) that is used on all subsequent API requests.

--cacert -- just means that you'll validate the certificate during requests

The NetBackup web service always sends its certificate during SSL handshakes. This certificate can be validated by the API client. To validate the certificate, you will need to get the Certificate Authority (CA) certificate from the master server and then use the CA certificate in the API requests.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

AFAIK, you can't skip login phase or use cert/token for that becasue token (JWT) has "validity" option and can be used for  86400 sec (1 day). You need the token for each request.  

POST /login

Description

Logs in with the username and password and receives a JSON Web Token (JWT) that is used on all subsequent API requests.

--cacert -- just means that you'll validate the certificate during requests

The NetBackup web service always sends its certificate during SSL handshakes. This certificate can be validated by the API client. To validate the certificate, you will need to get the Certificate Authority (CA) certificate from the master server and then use the CA certificate in the API requests.

Thanks Mike!   yep, confirmed this with Support after posting this thread. All good at this point.