cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the location of the TIR files on a Windows client?

LAToro
Level 4

We have a Windows server, with limited space available on the C drive, and several other rather large drives.

I've noticed that later in the week (after several incremental backups), I get Error Code 13's since NB cannot write to the TIR file due to space on the C drive.

Is there a way to redirect NB to create these files on another folder, in another drive? If this was a UNIX server, I could create a symbolic link to another filesystem; not sure if Windows has that capability.

Operating environment is NB 6.5.6, Linux media servers, backing up Linux and Windows clients.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I dont believe the path is changable i'm afraid.

It may be easier to just re-install the client to the largest drive (uninstall and then re-install)

Before doing so make a note of all of your settings for the client - it is handy to export the regsirty key at:

HKLM\Software\Veritas\Netbackup\CurrentVersion\Config

as this holds all of the exclude lists etc.

Otherwise connect to its client host properties and make a note of all of its settings so that they can be reproduced after it has been reinstalled

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I dont believe the path is changable i'm afraid.

It may be easier to just re-install the client to the largest drive (uninstall and then re-install)

Before doing so make a note of all of your settings for the client - it is handy to export the regsirty key at:

HKLM\Software\Veritas\Netbackup\CurrentVersion\Config

as this holds all of the exclude lists etc.

Otherwise connect to its client host properties and make a note of all of its settings so that they can be reproduced after it has been reinstalled

Hope this helps

LAToro
Level 4

Thanks for the reply, and the registry tip. I'm not a windows guy so I would have just redone the config.

I don't recall, however, getting prompted for an installation location.

austin_lazanows
Level 4
Certified

If you used the silent installer, then its set in whatever path. Otherwise, most people miss this because you can either choose a typical installation or a custom installation. Custom is the only way to change the installation location.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Always do a Custom Installation when possible so that the tracker is not set to run - otherwise this sits in the task bar giving an overhead to the running job.

The unattended cmd file does have SET STARTTRACKER=0 so that it doesnt run but if you do a typical installation manually it does set it to run.

LAToro
Level 4

I re-installed using the custom install.