cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I import catalog from old server solaris 10 to new server windows

T_N
Level 6

Hi All;

I have question. My backup system is running on 7.7.2 , master server is Solaris 10. it's old server, I need to replace to new master server windows 2012. Can I import catalog from old server solaris 10 to new server windows. ? Thank you.

Tom

8 REPLIES 8

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

Changes from big endian(Solaris) to little endian (Windows) is not supported.  However consulting services can help:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH31385

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You may want to consider Linux rather than Windows.

You can recover (big endian) Solaris catalog to (little endian) Linux. The directory structure is the same on Unix and Linux which makes it possible to migrate to newer x86 hardware.

Hi Marianne;

Do you mean I need to import Solaris nbu catalog to linux then import new linux catalog to window

Marianne
Level 6
No. This is not what I meant.
I was suggesting that you consider migrating to Linux in stead of Windows.

Migrating to Windows is going to cost you a lot of money.

Mike_Gavrilov

Solaris to Windows migration requires Catalog Manipulation:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH31385

Francly speaking this migration It itsn't that hard but you have to know how everything works. 

but it looks like Veritas will charge on it. Do they have any document talk about import cataog tape from Linux to Windows or vice versa ? thank you.

Mike_Gavrilov

@T_N wrote:

but it looks like Veritas will charge on it.

Yes, it's true

Do they have any document talk about import cataog tape from Linux to Windows or vice versa ? thank you.

It isn't simple importing with some keys  but it's a project that requires all steps every project does  (preengagement, post-engagement, support and so on ). This information is available only  for Veritas Partner and Employees who have attended special training and passed exam and nobody can share it because of NDA. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You cannot import that catalog from Unix/ Linux --> Windows  (or from Windows to Unix).

If you attempt this, even if that catalog recovery did complete, NBU will not run.

The main reason being that all the paths are a different structure between Windows and Uinx, and these paths are fairly well embedded in NBDB and the catalog .f files.

It can be done, as mentioned, various Veritas Partners have a tool which can carry out various tasks such as migration between unix and windows, unclustering a clustered server for example.

You have two choices:

1.  Have the migration carried out by a Veritas Partner, which is a chargeable service.

2.  Migrate to Linux, not windows which can be done yourself.  Effectively, just build a Linux server with the same hostname, and NBU install paths (these two points are vital) and run a catalog recovery.