cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install Windows 2008 R2, Virtual Center, Master Server and Media Server on the same machine

nigelg
Level 4

Good Day All.

Is it possible to install the Netbackup 7.5 Master and Media Server on the same vmware virtual center server with Windows 2008 R2.

If I install the Master Server first then I am unable to install the Media Server.

If I install the Media Server first then I am unable to install the Master Server.

How do I select both to be installed at the same time?

Also the media server installation installs a SQL Express, why is this component used?
When that finishes it disables some SQL services installed by the virtual center installation.

The issue is I have some blades with vmware and just one other blade to be the virtual center and I was hoping I could install vcenter and netbackup on that same blade
Can this be done, will it work and most importantly will I receive Symantec support in case some backup job or config fails in the future?
Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also recommend you keep the two installations on two separate hosts.

You might also have vCenter Server database and other VMware databases on MS SQL on that same server. Add a NetBackup Master into that equation with its own SQL DB and it could get crowded for resources, locking, reponse time of the Admin GUI/vSphere Client connections etc.

You would have to think about maintenance on the software, reboots etc. One affects the other. Compatibility etc.

You can make the master virtual but only use disk as the storage for backups.

Separate the components in your design where possible.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

When you install the NetBackup master server, the media server components are also installed; so that you can use your master server supporting combo role (Master + Media role).

NetBackup database exists only in the master server, not in media server. The DB is Sybase Adaptive SQL Anywhere version 11.

I have not setup the environment as you stated, but will recommend you to configure vCenter server in a seperate host.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also recommend you keep the two installations on two separate hosts.

You might also have vCenter Server database and other VMware databases on MS SQL on that same server. Add a NetBackup Master into that equation with its own SQL DB and it could get crowded for resources, locking, reponse time of the Admin GUI/vSphere Client connections etc.

You would have to think about maintenance on the software, reboots etc. One affects the other. Compatibility etc.

You can make the master virtual but only use disk as the storage for backups.

Separate the components in your design where possible.

nigelg
Level 4

Thanks for your replies guys.

Rizwan: So what you're saying is when I choose master server in the installation it will install everything in just one Step? thanks.

Stuart: If I Install first the Master Server in a Virtual Machine could I install the media server on the Physical vmware virtual center or that would also be NOT Recomended?

Thanks a lot.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can install combined NetBackup master/media server and vCenter on single host.But as Stuart wrote, It is not recommened in terms of system maintenance and resource management.

If you purchased "NetBackup Enterprise Server" license for both master and media server, you can install master server on VM and media server on other physical host. Be sure you can not install separate media server using "NetBackup Server" license.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Yes, Correct. We have seen many customers running master and media server in the same host. However you can install master server in a VM and It's always recommended to setup media server in a physical server, instead VM.

watsons
Level 6

Additional notes on this, if you plan to use media server deduplication (MSDP) feature for your backup, try to avoid having this master acts as the MSDP media server, it may create high load and slow down all the processing. If you want MSDP, deploy another host to install a media server with MSDP.

Some other considerations when installing Netbackup on Windows 2008 R2, regarding improving performance:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145791

nigelg
Level 4

Thank you all for the replies.

The issue is the Original Win Server where I planned to install everything now says after the Pre Check Environment that an existing "PostgreSQL is already installed on this machine ..." That server is an HP  blade, has Windows 2008, Vmare VCenter and the Command View Software, not sure if Command View installs that Sybase Software.

Thanks a lot.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please follow recommendations to have your Master/media server as a dedicated machine - not a good idea to share with any other application.

Different applications compete for resources, making troubleshooting difficult.

Also not a good idea to install media server on a server that is running other critical applications. Device-type issues sometimes require downtime/reboot which will be an issue with other applcations on the server.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

This is a different problem, please open a new thread on "PostgreSQL..." issue and close this existing thread by marking solution for the reply that helped you most.

nigelg
Level 4

I am aware of that. I Installed only vmware vcenter and netbackup master on that server.

But I only have this Physical Win server, probably will install Command View software on a VM...

It is already connected to a TL4000 Fiber Library.

I've only inventoried the tapes THEY WERE ON A NETBACKUP 6.5 SERVER. so I should be able to catalog them and restore information from them, is this correct?

Now how do I catalog them?

I was checking on the Console and I cannot find that option?

I've installed Backup Exec in the past but Netbackup seems very different.

Can you help me out?

Thanks a lot.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

I've only inventoried the tapes THEY WERE ON A NETBACKUP 6.5 SERVER. so I should be able to catalog them and restore information from them, is this correct?

Are you trying to restore NBU 6.5 catalog on 7.5 master server? If yes, then its not correct. To recover the catalog your NBU version of current host must match with that of previous one.

nigelg
Level 4

Hi. What I am trying to do is catalog the information on those tapes so I can restore the info they have on them just in case it is needed in the future.

Those tapes have file and database backups and I want to make sure I can restore them.

That is possible, right?

Thanks a lot.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

I assume that the tape which has file & DB backup was backed up by different server (NBU 6.5) which does not exists now and you are trying to build catalog of those tapes in new NBU 7.5 server.

If my assumption is correct then; You can perform "tape import".

How to Import Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

nigelg
Level 4

Thanks a lot.

Yes you are correct. I tried that but it ends requesting some other media or saying that the incorrect media is loaded???

I also tried this command vmphyinv and it ends with a list of recommendations:

What does this Move media to standalone residence means?

Do they have data on them and it has not expired?

Can you explain this to me?

Also it says that 2 media have the same ID? Do I need to assign them a new media ID? Will this harm the data on them? It is not the same as Label a tape, right?

Thanks a lot.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Non-barcoded media is a NIGHTMARE....

Seems you started using non-barcoded media in new environment and is now trying to import old media with SAME internal media-id's, right?

Major issue as media-id's need to be unique in NBU.

All I can suggest is to start duplicating new images to new, unique media-id's, then expire existing media-id's and manually re-lable them with new, unique media-id's.
You will then be able to import old tapes.

You cannot re-lable the old tapes, as that will destroy data on them.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

What does this Move media to standalone residence means?

To explain this, lets take media ID A00002 in slot 3 from you above post. As your media are not barcoded, and when you inventory this media (used by old NBU 6.5 server) in a new environment the AVR daemon tag this media as new tape and assigns a media ID A00002.

Now, when you run physical inventory of this tape (vmphyinv), it actually reads the media header to recognise its original ID. It now reads A00002 from slot 3 and detects the media ID from header as A00004. Which means that the original ID of this tape is A00004 that was created by you old NBU server.

Then it disposes the preassigned ID A00002 of the tape in slot 3 with message "Logically move media ID A00002 from slot 3 to standalone residence". And assign the ID read from header to that media with message "Logically move media ID A00004 to slot 3".

Do they have data on them and it has not expired?

They may certainly have data, and this can be confirmed when you run phase1 import  on those tapes.

For media ID conflict reported, as suggested by Marianne you have to duplicate the image of these tapes to another media, so that there are no data loss.

nigelg
Level 4

Thanks.

Marianne the Library has like 40 Old tapes from the Old NB 6.5.

I've added 5 new tapes to the library to do my tests, it will be better to remove these 5 new tapes and rerun vmphyinv again?

if I relabel them should I use names like A00100 and start from there to avoid inconsistencies?

Thanks again.