cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use non current synthetic full to create a new synthetic full backup?

BrianinWI1
Level 2

Hello,

I have an I/O error on one of my most current synthetic full backup tapes. I am trying to create a new synthetic full backup, merging the most recent accumulative incremental with the most recent synthetic full backup. I am getting I/O errors on one of the tapes in the most recent synthetic full backup.

Is it possible to use the previous synthetic full backup as input and create a new current synthetic full backup using those tapes ?

This is Netbackup, version 7.0 running on a sun solaris 10 master server.

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NBU will use the last full + recent incrementals for the next synth full.

No way to pick a specific full, only thing I can think to do is to expire the full on the bad tape.

If that doesn't work, then I think you'll have to run a new 'proper' full, then it should pick up from there ...

martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
As Martin says it may be possible by expiring the bad full but the trouble is that any incremental you run now will not be valid as the bad full will have reset the archive bit so then trying to run the new synthetic is likely to fail as most likely files will be missing causing the TIR information to not match I think the only valid action would be to run a new real full Hope this helps

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Good point Mark, expire the full and any incrementals taken after the full that is failing ...

Or, just run a new full.

Martin