cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use restore function on netbackup when my license expired

XTK
Level 3

Can I use restore function on NetBackup when my license expired?

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have perpetual or subscription license? 

If you purchased perpetual license, it cannot expire. 
For perpetual license, maintenance expires, meaning you cannot download product updates or log Support call with Veritas. 

If you have Subscription license that expires, backups will stop, restores will be allowed. 

Hi @Marianne.

I very appreciate your quick response.

Because my Veritas Backup Exec can not run, so I want to know Can I copy file backup on that server and restore on new install server?

Thanks

Marianne

@XTK 

I don't understand your last post. 

Do you have NetBackup or Backup Exec?

Do you have Perpetual or Subscription license?

What 'file backup' are you referring to? 
Why do you want to install a new server?
What license will you use on the new server? 

Hi @Marianne 

Do you have NetBackup or Backup Exec? => I have a Backup Exec Server.

Do you have Perpetual or Subscription license? => I have a Subscription license, but it expired now. 

What 'file backup' are you referring to? 
Why do you want to install a new server? => Cause, My current Backup Exec Server occur errors and can not run normally. So I can not use restore function on this server.
What license will you use on the new server?  => I will use the trial license on the new server.

Thanks

Marianne

@XTK 

Your subject and 1st post says NetBackup. Now you change it to Backup Exec? 

Best to ask Backup Exec questions in Backup Exec forum

Looking at this statement : 
Can I copy file backup on that server and restore on new install server?

It looks to me that you want to cheat the system by trying to use trial license.  

You need to tell your management that you are unable to do your job because they did not pay the annual subscription. 
They made the choice to go for the cheaper option, well knowing what the concequences are when they do not renew. 
Rules around subscription licenses are clearly documented in the Backup Exec licensing guide that is publicly available on the Veritas website. 

Your subject and 1st post says NetBackup. Now you change it to Backup Exec? Best to ask Backup Exec questions in Backup Exec forum.  ==> Sorry it's my bad. I did not verify with my staff before open the topic.

Looking at this statement : 
Can I copy file backup on that server and restore on new install server? It seems to me that you want to cheat the system by trying to use a trial license.  ==> Honestly,  I do not want to cheat the system by to use trial license. My Backup Exec Server can not run with error "Windows stops responding" so I want to make sure I can use file backup in the old server, and I can use restore function on the new server before we renew license. 

Once again, very sorry because make you confuse.