cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Vault option be used on server running as both Master/Media server?

todis
Level 4
I've been administratering Netbackup for close to 6mths now and have been the sole person in charge of implenting NB6 (I'm still a newbie). We only have one server that's running as both Master and Media server. From what I've read the Vault option cannot be installed on a media server. Is this correct? If so, what's my best option for implenting the Vault feature (we've already purchase it)? I'm running Solaris 10 on a Sun v240 with one physical changer w/two tape drives and a REO 9000 with two VTL's. Any suggestions are appreciated. Am I going to have to set up a second server to serve as the media or master server? Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Yes, you can install vault on our master(+media) server.

All masters can be medias can be clients.
All medias can be clients.
Clients can only be clients.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6

todis wrote:
Am I going to have to set up a second server to serve as the media or master server?

No, you don't have to. Vault can be installed on your current master/media server.

Stumpr2
Level 6
vault is installed on the master server. When configuring, by default, the media server that did the original image will also do the duplication.

todis
Level 4
Thanks everyone! That's good news! I'm going to try and get Vault going this week then. Thanks again and please post if someone has any tips/tricks for installing/setting up Vault.

DavidParker
Level 6
Vault is an awesome option to use for Duplications and offsite management (make sure you enable all the reports, btw).

Take a look at the Admin Guide for Vault (if you haven't already), lots of good stuff in there: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279298.htm

Stumpr2
Level 6
w/two tape drives ....

because of the limited number of tape drives, I suggest you vault the originals. Remember for duplicating a tape image you need 1 read tape drive and 1 write tape drive.