cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Data Domain be declared as several "Storage Server" for a single "master"

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I need to share one Data Domain between several IP networks (these network zones are defined for security reasons).

The master server is shared between all the networks zone, but there is one media server per zone.

Is it possible to define for one physical Data Domain several network names, IP addresses and "Storage Server" in order to see one "virtual Data Domain" per zone.

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You must define one storage server per media server. 

A data domain has muiltiple NIC - Each NIC can be connected to each network zone. Each Data Domain NIC must have it's own DNS name.

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Thank you - good news...

But in some DD documents, such as "EMC Data Domain Boost for Symantec NetBackup OpenStorage - Best Practices Planning - h7296" , we can read  :
"Have only one storage server defined within a NetBackup domain per Data Domain system" !

In addition, it is difficult to use load balancing by means of "ifgroup" with this method, unless to define multiple "ifgroup" as permitted with the latest version of OST ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am not quire sure what they mean by that - The "Introducing Data Domain Boost for OpenStorage" say

"The Data Domain system exposes pre-made disk volumes called storage units to a DD Boost-enabled media server. Multiple media servers, each with the Data Domain OST plug-in, can use the same storage unit on a Data Domain system as a storage server"

I have not used ifgroups - I have a 10GB Ethernet infrastructure in a "link failover" configuration.

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So, the two solutions should work : "ifgroup" is probably more reliable and efficient, if I believe what the Data Domain documentation says .

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - The solution should work

As I read the manual ifgroups are used if you have a requirement for multiple link (1G bundle) with multiple subnet (but I may be wrong). 

Best Regards

Nicolai