cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anybody to review some device configuration design?

Alex_Tetyukhin
Level 4
Hi all!

Can anybody to review some device configuration design and give an answer is it valid?

Here it is:
master server (Unix) is NOT connected to SAN
SAN media server 1 connected to SAN
SAN media server 2 connected to SAN

Tape library (STK L40) has one robot and two drives. It hasn't possibility to be connected to SAN.

If I connect robot and one drive (drive 1) to SAN media server 1 via SCSI and other drive (drive 2) to SAN media server 2 via SCSI will it be possible to backup SAN media server 2 to tape? When master server will send command to SAN media server 2 to backup itself to drive 2 will SAN media server 1 load the tape as a robotic control host?

Thanks for your future replays...
6 REPLIES 6

zippy
Level 6
Alex,

Master needs to run the robot.

I your case it really doesnt not matter that your Media servers are connected to the SAN, they are just using the disk space on the SAN array.

SCSI attach the master to the library, robot is SCSI ID 0 is, then the next tape drive is daisy chained to the robot. < this is a default config.

Configure these two componets to work with your master, take the next tape drive an conncet it to one of the media servers.

Or

You can buy

http://www.crossroads.com/Products/StorageRouters/Crossroads6000.asp

SCSI FC router.
Hook it into your SAN, then get a SSO licence for you Media Servers.

Unfourtunatly you dont have much hardware to work with.

JD

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
I agree with James, I have a question for you ... what is the reason for making those two as SAN Media servers? is it because of the huge data to be backed up for those two clients? or is there any reason?

If it is because of the huge data, then probably you can use Gig-E interface and try to back them up or if you feel that they have really huge data then there is no option other than going for FC Router.

NOTE: As per Veritas, clients which have more than 750GB should be made as SAN media servers.

Raghava

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Alex,

My understanding is that:

SAN media server can be a robotic controller.
Therefore SAN media server 1 should configured with a tape library (e.g. TLD0) and a drive (e.g. HCART or others) and SAN media server 2 configured with a drive and with Robot Control Host configured to point to SAN media server 1. This should works as you described.

(As mentioned by James, L40's robot and 1st drive is by default daisy chained.)

Alex_Tetyukhin
Level 4
Hi again!

Thanks for your answers!

The question really is: can the SAN media server to be robotic control host?
As Chia Tan Beng says it's possible but I didn't found corresponding documentation for TLD robots (only for TLH robots). So I have some doubts...

In addition to my question I can say that this two server have a large volume of data. There is a SAN infrastructure already so it's not desirable to change any hardware design. So the FC-router and second gigabit ethernet network is a last resort :)

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
It took me quite a while trying to find whether there's any Veritas documentation for SAN media server as robotic control host.

At the end I gave up the search & a quick call to a Veritas pre-sales support confimed that.

:)

Alex_Tetyukhin
Level 4
Ok, I hope it works :)

Thanks!

> It took me quite a while trying to find whether
> there's any Veritas documentation for SAN media
> server as robotic control host.
>
> At the end I gave up the search & a quick call to a
> Veritas pre-sales support confimed that.
>
> :)